• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Weird oil leak through stator wiring harness.

Mtnviper

Vendor
Website
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
So I was swapping out my subframe today and I noticed when I unplugged the rectifier connector, engine oil ran out of the connector.
Engine oil is wicking it's way up through the stator (3 big white wires) wiring harness.
I haven't torn it down yet, I'm wondering if the stator is a "wet stator" that is cooled with engine oil? Or if I have a bad seal somewhere?

Bill

Just helped my brother change one on his attack and it was wet with a gasket...nytro must be the same.

upei93 said:
Just helped my brother change one on his attack and it was wet with a gasket...nytro must be the same.

Thanks upei93, thats good to know! It would make sense that it would be the same. I suspect that the wiring insulation must be sealed as part of the stator itself and I must have a break in the insulation inside the engine.

Bill

It is a wet stator. If your Nytro is like every other Nytro I've seen, the white stator wires come out of the side cover (rubber grommet) bare. The plastic sheathing they are in doesn't cover them until they are out side the cover. So it is quite possible that the oil you found did not leak through the rubber grommet, but got into the sheathing from outside the engine....perhaps during ROV R&D.

ha ha ha, r&d, nice... thats why I leave my panels on all winter, including my bulletproof roest skid plate. I trust my sled and put as many hard miles on as possible without ever looking at it

Roest said:
It is a wet stator. If your Nytro is like every other Nytro I've seen, the white stator wires come out of the side cover (rubber grommet) bare. The plastic sheathing they are in doesn't cover them until they are out side the cover. So it is quite possible that the oil you found did not leak through the rubber grommet, but got into the sheathing from outside the engine....perhaps during ROV R&D.

Yeah, I kind of wondered about that as well! So I let the harness hang down while I was installing the C/M subframe. The oil definately dripped out from inside the connector past the terminals and out of the rectifier module as well. No oil was found between the black plastic covering and the wires themselves.
It doesn't seem to be effecting the wiring, my main concern is if the oil works its way in to the rectifier. Not sure if it would damage the rectifier or not.
At least it's non-corrosive!
I've seen similar concerns with cars before, where I have found ATF or coolant in the ECM.
In the case of coolant it usually is the coolant sensor that leaks and pumps coolant through out the wiring harness and in to the various modules. I have actually poured coolant out of an ECM before!! It creates one heck of a mess, and you pretty much have to replace the offending sensor, wiring harness and modules. Otherwise the vehicle will forever have electrical problems.

Here you go Bill.

Attachments

• 100_4002.JPG
    100_4002.JPG
    313.1 KB · Views: 539
Roest said:
Here you go Bill.

Thanks Peter! ;)!
Looking at the pic, I can see where the oil could wick it's way in. Most likely where the white insulation ends at the stator inside the case.
I suspect that it would be a VERY slow leak at best. It could have been doing it since day one and the only reason I found it was because I had the sled apart.
Looks like the fix would be to replace the stator.

hmmmm...are you sure it is wicking in between the actual wire or through the rubber grommet. there is supposed to be a thread sealant or similar placed in the opening before the grommet is replaced back in its spot.

theflamanguy said:
hmmmm...are you sure it is wicking in between the actual wire or through the rubber grommet. there is supposed to be a thread sealant or similar placed in the opening before the grommet is replaced back in its spot.

I'm pretty sure that it's wicking through the wire. The outside of the wiring is bone dry from the engine all the way to the rectifier module.
The connector to the rectifier has a rubber seal in it to keep out moisture. Because of this seal, oil doesn't actually leak out of the harness/connector until I dis-connect the connector from the rectifier.

Bill

I've been chasing an ER-1 code on a Nytro today, and noticed that when I went to pull the harness out for inspection, I had a bunch of oil in the harness just below the rectifier, in the area where the harness splits off to go to the ecu. No oil further up the harness, no oil in the connectors, and no oil in the adjacent area... Hmmm. This was clear down in front near the steering bellcrank, nowhere near the stator housing..
I'm wondering if this couldve been part of the cause for my shorting issues now?

So, now this same scenario has occurred on my sled too. Enough oil in the rectifier connector that it blew the 20 amp ignition cct fuse.

Back