• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What are the best skis, shocks, and accessories for a new Phazer XTX?

Wannaviper

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Viper XTX SE; 2019 Sidewinder DX LTX; 2013 Vector LTX; 2014 Viper XTX SE; 2013 SRX 120
I just made the deal to trade in my old Vector for a 2015 Phazer XTX for my grandson. While I suspect that we may get a ride or two in before the snow goes this year, I am already wondering about what I will need to do to the sled to make it the best that it can be for next year?

My first question is how the Tuner skis are working on the XTX, and what carbide set-up works best on the Tuners? I know that the Tuners are prone to pushing on my Viper, and I went to Shapers to get some bite in the corners. I have a set of Simmons Flex-Skis I used one season on my old Vector before replacing them with Sno-Trackers. They are blue, and would look awesome on the XTX, but they made my Vector steer like a truck. Does anyone have experience with the Simmons, or are there other aftermarket skis that really shine on the XTX?

We have an '09 Phazer GT with clicker shocks, and they have been impressive. I read on another thread that the shocks on the XTX's may have some issues, so I wondered whether anyone had upgraded their shocks, or whether they were satisfied with the stock shocks?

Finally, I will get some "customer cash" and a good discount from my dealer on accessories when I pick up the sled. What are everyones' favorite "necessary" accessories for the XTX? Things like a windshield bag and spare belt are automatic, but are there any other "must haves" or favorite accessories from the wishlist that I should be thinking about while I have that discount?

Having the shocks professionally revalved is always the first thing I do to a sled. Proper spring rates and valving do more for a sled than just about any other upgrade. Skis can be a bit personal. For years I swore on the C&A pro's but I am very happy with the Curves. Hygear is local to me and I second the recommendation. Bruce from Pioneer is also very good.

I too would recommend the Curve XS skis. Deep snow and trail performance is night and day over the OEM.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. We are scheduled to pick up the XTX this afternoon, and tomorrow early we head north for what will probably be the last weekend of the season. We will see how the XTX performs with Tuners and stock shocks, and then have the summer to make changes in skis and shocks as necessary.

After a weekend with his new Phazer, my Grandson is totally "bummed" that winter is over. He loves the XTX; I wish I could give you a good review on its performance, but I couldn't pry him off the seat for more than a couple of miles. Amazingly, it came with a 2" carbide inside and a round bar outside on the Tuners, and it handled quite well. There was a little "push", but I think that moving the 2" outside and getting a 4" for the inside will take care of it. Overall, a pretty impressive little machine that has made my Grandson very happy!

Back