• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What happened?

langow

Expert
I need some help. Went to fire up my 08 Apex for the first time this year. Fuel pump primed, it turned over fine, almost started then went dead. Went to turn the key again and nothing, no click, no anything. Where do I start?

Well...check your red stop button and make sure its not pushed down...been talked about on the Topic >Happiness is<

My guess would be a loose connection around the battery. Did you charge up the battery over the summer. It might of bit the dust as well.

Definitely not the red stop button. Got nothing either way. Just installed the battery this morning. It was fully charged and the initial turn over had all kinds of battery power to spin the motor.

Wow. Just fired up my computer to search on this topic.

Very similar thing I just had today with my 08 Apex. I put mine away last spring and left the battery in it. Today I got it out of storage, and nothing happens with the key. No fuel pump, no lights, nothing. I went out and bought a new battery without thinking it through. Just figured it was time for a new battery. Well, that wasn't it. Still nothing. Double checked new battery is ok, connections ok. Is there a main fuse? Always fired up for me every year and was running fine when i put it away.

Yes there is a main fuse. Unfortunately, it is down by the battery, just to the left of it when your looking from the front of the sled. Any chance that the battery was installed backwards ? and blew the main fuse ?

check the key switch and the wire, my sled fired up once then shut down on a ride out of no where, turns out the plug in the wire between key ignition and the main harness was defective
good luck

On mine the battery showed fully charged as far as the charger was concerned. Would not take anymore charge. Current showed zero on the charger. Charger would start with some current then move towards zero. Put the battery in the 08 and fuel pump and lights all came on but starter went ugggg, then nothing. Lights and everything still worked fine. Had to buy a battery and all is well.

Jim
08 APEX :drink:

Just because your charger says that the battery is charged does not ensure that you have a good battery. You need to test it under load. Put a volt meter on it when you have the key in the cranking position. My guess is that the voltage is dropping to almost zero when under load.

Here is a link to a thread with some useful info. http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

It seems hard to believe its a battery issue. How can a battery go from turning the sled over likes its brand new, to being so dead it won't even create a relay click in 2 seconds? I've gotta have a bad fuse or a connection came lose somewhere, right???

Do you have an electrical meter? Start at the battery and ensure that it has at least 12 Vdc when the key is in the crank position. If it does, then check the starter solenoid. it is common to have corroded connections in the white electrical plug at the solenoid. If the connections look clean and tight then look for voltage on the coil circuit when the key is in the crank position. Click on the link in my previous post for a detailed explanation of the starter circuit.

I think I have a cheap meter somewhere. Thanks. I'll give that a shot later. My sleds at a buddy's house and I won't have access to it today.

The starter solenoid (relay) is a likely suspect. However bad connections at the white connector at the solenoid are common. Unplug the connector and look for green on the terminals. It needs to be clean and tight. I explained in detail how to troubleshoot this circuit in this link to another thread. If you have an electrical meter and know how to use it this is an easy problem to troubleshoot. http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

Back