• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What parts to also change when doing track swap on avg mileage 2012 Apex?

Caveman

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha, Polaris, SkiDoo.
2012 Apex XTX with 15k miles. Never beat on and not my primary sled anymore but still ridden as a back-up that can keep up with us when the SW and Doo are stuck in the shop (too often). Question/Opinions- The track needs changing with a couple pull throughs but no other issues and want to order parts soon not knowing what might be on back order. Any thoughts on what gets replaced while I'm in there? Gear oil always changed and jack/drive shaft bearings greased often. Bearings on both sides? Seals in case? Yes, no, don't bother? Gears and drivers look good. Not much else to it but I don't want to change parts for no good reason but anything else to look for or a good idea to change with 15k miles? Thanks and hope you're having a good summer.

I would do all drive line bearings/seals if it was me. There is no better time than when doing that track change. Cheap insurance. Good time to go through all the skid bearings also.

2012 Apex XTX with 15k miles. Never beat on and not my primary sled anymore but still ridden as a back-up that can keep up with us when the SW and Doo are stuck in the shop (too often). Question/Opinions- The track needs changing with a couple pull throughs but no other issues and want to order parts soon not knowing what might be on back order. Any thoughts on what gets replaced while I'm in there? Gear oil always changed and jack/drive shaft bearings greased often. Bearings on both sides? Seals in case? Yes, no, don't bother? Gears and drivers look good. Not much else to it but I don't want to change parts for no good reason but anything else to look for or a good idea to change with 15k miles? Thanks and hope you're having a good summer.
i would plan on the speedo bearing getting replaced as the one that i repacked annually failed at the 12000 mi mark. i did the chain case bearings and jack shaft bearings when the speedo bearing failed on my 11 and the chain and sprockets during the next pre season as there was marks on the gears from the chain that i could feel with my fingers. it has played tow truck over a dozen times and i have hauled loaded sleigh with wood/gear at least a few times a year to the point that there is almost no paint left on the hitch where the sleigh hooks up. 21000 mi and still going.

i would suggest duponts if not already equiped. otherwise just normal wheel/bearing maintence.

Just did all of that on my 2016 XTX track change with the exception that I'm still waiting for dupont sliders which are still on backorder (wish I could still get the mountain version but they discontinued them) Doughtnuts still decent so I left them.

Replace the seals in case, sounds like you have everything else covered.

Thanks all for the replies. I'll get the parts on order. Lucky to have a set of dupont mountain slides hanging in the the garage I haven't needed yet as the original duponts still in good shape with the X wheels. Never understood why they didn't add another set of vespel inserts on the regular length to get them past the rear bogies. Seems like the only place they've worn. Thanks again!

Back