• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

what spring for xtx with 14.5 rollers?

thats all I was planning to do. have 6000mi on it bone stock and am happy with it, but see that alot of people are really happy with 14.5 rollers and sometimes a spring. ypy I think most say.

I have recently installed the Y-P-Y primary spring, also geared it down with a 20 tooth. Its much smoother now, engaging rpm is now at 3500-3700. (hard to tell from the rpm meter...)
But thinking that also adding 14,5 rollers would make it even smoother. Any suggestions how to make it backshift less? Change secondary spring location?

Adding the 14.5mm rollers will lower the engagement. In order to see the Nytro work better, then stock you need to change the helix. Leave the gearing alone...

SledFreak said:
Adding the 14.5mm rollers will lower the engagement. In order to see the Nytro work better, then stock you need to change the helix. Leave the gearing alone...

Define "work better". What's better for one application may be worse for another.

And "change the helix" is rather vague advice.

I got the 14.5 rollers and stock springs-primary and secondary- with a stock srx straight helix, works great. Lower engagement, better belt life (squeezes the belt harder at lower RPM) and it's faster on the radar gun than stock. I forget the exact angle on the helix, it's either a 45 or 47 deg, fairly easy to find out.

AttakDog said:
I got the 14.5 rollers and stock springs-primary and secondary- with a stock srx straight helix, works great. Lower engagement, better belt life (squeezes the belt harder at lower RPM) and it's faster on the radar gun than stock. I forget the exact angle on the helix, it's either a 45 or 47 deg, fairly easy to find out.

SRX helix is straight 47. If you are a lighter rider and can maintain decent traction then you have a nice setup.

Rollers

I changed to the 14.5 rollers and love them. I ran the stock springs and helix for the first 1000 miles and it pulled like a bear. I was talked into buying the pink blue pink primary spring and told it would give better mid range and top end. I beg to differ. After a couple of rides with the PBP spring I changed back to the stock spring. I weigh 200lbs without gear, and have no issues with the 14.5mm and stock springs and helix. Not sure how much of a difference the 47degree helix would be.

I was also told when I changed the rollers to put a couple of shims in the clutch as well. tried that, dont need them. Take them out. I ride with a guy that is about the same size as me and has the same year xtx as I, both stock, except my rollers. I can pull him off the line and maintain a good 3-4 sled lengths on him up to about 70 and slowly widen the gap. Definately worth the time and money to change to 14.5mm rollers. ;)!

I never posted this before.

But I found with help for the nytro xtx with 14.5-14.8 rollers.
The 47/43 helix is the best combo.

Trust me. tighten your track and chain.

On my xtx I have the 14.5 rollers and a ypy spring 3000 rpm engagement 9000 rpm top end 98 on gps 102 speedo.I have never rode with another nytro to compare it to, but I like it on the trails,much easier drive through the trees then stock

Tom Hartmans web sit has a good write up on yamaha clutching and what everything does or call him he will hook you

I would change one thing at a time so you know what it does and what it effected ...don't see why you would have to change spring if you are just changing the rollers and engine is stock....

09nytro said:
Tom Hartmans web sit has a good write up on yamaha clutching and what everything does or call him he will hook you

I would change one thing at a time so you know what it does and what it effected ...don't see why you would have to change spring if you are just changing the rollers and engine is stock....
do you have a link to this "Tom Hartmans web site" ?

Back