• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What to do for summer storage?

This will be my first storage summer. What do you folks recommend?

Park it with minimal amount of fuel in it and top it up with a fresh tank in the spring.
‘03 Rx-1 Mtn with over 22,000kms bought from new and I’ve never even done that much with it lol, but it’s a good idea.
If it were a 2-stroke you might want to fog it. I have 2 excellent running ‘95 Vmax-4’s and again, I’ve never even done that much with them for storage.

Park it with minimal amount of fuel in it and top it up with a fresh tank in the spring.
‘03 Rx-1 Mtn with over 22,000kms bought from new and I’ve never even done that much with it lol, but it’s a good idea.
If it were a 2-stroke you might want to fog it. I have 2 excellent running ‘95 Vmax-4’s and again, I’ve never even done that much with them for storage.
In the Fall I meant sorry, fresh gas next Fall when you take it out again.

i run them every month to keep the pilot jets good and clean as i park them with full tank of gas treated with seafoam.

Star Tron enzyme fuel treatment. Cures Ethanol gumming problems. I have used this for years. Back when I had 2stroke carb sleds. I could go 3 years without carb cleanings!

This will be my first storage summer. What do you folks recommend?
Do you have non ethanol fuel available in your area?I prefer this to using junk ethanol gas with additives..have had issues with treated ethanol fuel but never any issues with non ethanol&it seems to keep for a much longer time.ive. had ethanol fuel go bad in 2 months time.

Never heard of it? Where do you get it

Sorry for the slow reply. I live in the Midwest. I can buy it at Fleet Farm. But I have also found it at Walmart in the Marine section. I use it in anything that sits for long periods of time. Lawnmower, Snowblower, Sleds, Boat motor and lawn tractor. I learned about it from Snowtech magazine. Before that I had used a thing called a fuel catalyst. It was a solid metal piece in a plastic cage. You hung it in the tank. It worked very well but would break up and then you had pellets in your tank. Startron Enzyme Treatment works with ethanol fuel and non ethanol. But we only have 87 octane here with 10% ethanol. If you want non ethanol you have to buy 91 octane and its 75 cents a gallon more. So I only buy 91 octane for my 2 Stroke.

Last edited:
No problem. I found it at Walmart and then after doing research, I'm actually going with the Yamaha gas products for non-ethanol and I'll use Star Tron for our ethanol crap. Thanks

I guess it depends how fussy you are about your sled, me personally, I am very fussy doing the end of season summer storage prep, fuel stabilizer, double up for longer sitting times run your engine to make sure it gets into the throttle bodies or carbs, grease everything that has a grease nipple and spin your idler wheels by hand with track elevated, under coat everything including your front a arms and shocks and ski mounts, all your skid, I use rust check green can, under the hood clean and wipe any dirt or salt residue you can see, spray your wires and connectors and plug in's with under coating also mice hate it plus it keeps your wires from getting moisture and corrosion and ozone hardening, spray armor all on all your rubber hoses you can get at including the ones at the back of the tunnel, clean your clutches and blow them out, air filter screen, apply some leather care to your seat, put some sticky mouse traps on top of your track and smaller ones inside cab, some fog there engines, and change their oil and filter but I do that in the fall prep, give her a good coat of wax, I might of missed a few things but all I can think of for now, hope this helps

^ I like the way you think.

We're the type of guys who's sleds have 8,000 miles and look like they have 80.

Just like when I sold my 1998 MXZ this winter, and when I opened the trailer door, the buyers first words were, "damn this thing is CLEAN!"

Some idiots couldn't get someone to call their 2018 sled clean.

I guess it depends how fussy you are about your sled, me personally, I am very fussy doing the end of season summer storage prep, fuel stabilizer, double up for longer sitting times run your engine to make sure it gets into the throttle bodies or carbs, grease everything that has a grease nipple and spin your idler wheels by hand with track elevated, under coat everything including your front a arms and shocks and ski mounts, all your skid, I use rust check green can, under the hood clean and wipe any dirt or salt residue you can see, spray your wires and connectors and plug in's with under coating also mice hate it plus it keeps your wires from getting moisture and corrosion and ozone hardening, spray armor all on all your rubber hoses you can get at including the ones at the back of the tunnel, clean your clutches and blow them out, air filter screen, apply some leather care to your seat, put some sticky mouse traps on top of your track and smaller ones inside cab, some fog there engines, and change their oil and filter but I do that in the fall prep, give her a good coat of wax, I might of missed a few things but all I can think of for now, hope this helps
I also like to remove my belt as it keeps the clutches from getting oxidized where the belt sits,I don't add anything to non ethanol fuel&haven't had any fuel problems or residue etc I also use an air compressor&blow all of the dirt,pebbles etc out of the belly pan,running boards etc then polish all aluminum running boards,tunnel extension etc if your using a high quality aluminum polish it goes quickly &seems to keep them from oxidizing over the summer/fall months

Thanks for all for ideas. I'm blessed to have an enclosed, mouse proof trailer for storage and Colorado isn't humid enough to rot in the summer. I'll be able to store them with all the advice and hopefully ride them next winter without problems

^ I like the way you think.

We're the type of guys who's sleds have 8,000 miles and look like they have 80.

Just like when I sold my 1998 MXZ this winter, and when I opened the trailer door, the buyers first words were, "damn this thing is CLEAN!"

Some idiots couldn't get someone to call their 2018 sled clean.
I like doing every thing I can to protect my sled and keep it clean, they hold up way better, harder for some one to Nickle and Dime you if you decide to sell, my last sled my buddy bought it was absolutely mint, we ride together from time to time, It brings tears to my eye's the way he beats on it and never cleans anything.

Back