• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What to look for 06 Apex ER

Drwe

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
1998 vmax 700 xtcd
My brother is looking to purchase an 06 Apex ER with 21k km at a good price as a first sled. What do I need to check for? I am very familiar with the proaction 2 strokes but not the 4 strokes. On a 2 stroke it's pretty easy and quick to do a compression test. Should I comp test the apex? If so, what is the procedure and what should stock compression be? Anything else to look for specifically? I assume 21k isnt that high for these engines. I don't have a lot of time to research before I go to look at it tomorrow. Any info is appreciated.

If the sled starts and idles smooth, it’s probably fine. Ask about maintenance. Oil changes, bearings, etc. make sure the reverse works perfectly, because they tend to get messed up and pop out of gear( and grind). Check the mounting tabs for the headlight, on both sides ( they break). Look at the heat exchangers under the floorboards ( they crack and leak). Check for loose rivets in the tunnel, and cracks in the chassis, ESPECIALLY where the a-arms mount. Take a couple rags to hold over the exhaust tips, to see if the exhaust has any leaks. Look on the speedo for any error codes. On startup, the dash has a red warm up light. Don’t touch anything until it goes out, or risk fouling the plugs (which are hard to get to). Everything else is basically like other sleds.

Back