• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What to use for trail gps and mount?

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder 2011 vector gt 2010 fx nytro 2009 vector gt
Just curious as to what everyone is using for a gps and trail maps, id like to put one on the sidewinder, ive seen a few kits that are $700 and thats a bit more than i want to spend, i was curious if anyone put something together as far as a gps, mount and maps. I ride in wi and the in u.p.

You can easily adapt a cheap used Nuvi and there are lots of threads including info on RockerDans widescreen. I prefer a dedicated outdoor GPS and use a Montana 600. There are countless ways to adapt Ram ball mounts all over the sled from the bars to the riser to the dash plastics.

You could use an app but I gave up on using my iPhone for primary GPS because they don’t do well in real cold and I like to keep my phone more handy for uh a phone and camera. There are certainly heated mounts and ways people are adapting that but again when I NEED GPS I don’t want to be F-ing with my too cold phone or interupting my track log for calls texts or take photos.

GPS Map 64s can be had cheap new and refurbished. If you plan to go new get on GPSCity.com email list and a deal will pop up sooner or later.

E97A5B85-5D43-4BCE-8DDC-527142795C3A.jpeg

IMG_20171202_114406672-640x380.jpg
For Wis. I bought.....
Nuvi for $80. Best buy.
GPS ram mount/craddle (which I bolted directly to plastic in center of handlebars) for $12.00 off Amazon
And red pine mapping, forgot how much that cost.

No problems ever. Except one. Don't try to contact red pine for anything. They never responded to me once.

I lost the Sims card and broke my Nuvi in truck. So I have to start all over.

Last edited:
So this probably sounds silly, but other than my phone ive never used a gps a whole lot, can i put the trail maps into any gps?

IMG_1786 (800x600).jpg
IMG_1785 (800x600).jpg
IMG_1783 (800x600).jpg
I have the same set up as Rockerdan. I figured Dan has tried everything and knows what works and doesn't work. He saves me lots of time researching stuff.

So this probably sounds silly, but other than my phone ive never used a gps a whole lot, can i put the trail maps into any gps?

Yes, either thru Sims card or download to p.c. familiarize yourself with provider. Then go from there.

GAP is a vendor. Not sure if he's ready to support this.
VVmapping.
redpine mapping

I'm using my iPhone6 this year using wireless charging to keep it warm in a waterproof case I got from Amazon. Think I may mount it on the center of the handle bar or up above the factory gauge. Can also use it to keep an eye on all sled vitals too using live data from my Hurricane GAP flasher. Talk about killing a bunch of birds with just one simple iPhone and wireless charging setup!

I'm planing to just use the Polaris ride command app which is free for iPhone. Been doing some in house and vehicle testing and found a wireless charge card that makes a bit of heat keeping the phone warm and charged for $3.99, the charger itself about $8 and the waterproof holder about $23 all from Amazon. Polaris Ride command app was free which shows all the trails on the GPS.

Works great so far, we'll see how it works in real world conditions once the snow hits and I can get the sled out in the cold and keep the screen on like it should in the cold.

https://ridecommand.polaris.com/en-us/home

Last edited:
Garmin - Zumo 595 LM. It is pricy but awesome. Wont freeze up, waterproof, and you can play music and control it from the GPS. Simply mount onto handle bars

Just curious as to what everyone is using for a gps and trail maps, id like to put one on the sidewinder, ive seen a few kits that are $700 and thats a bit more than i want to spend, i was curious if anyone put something together as far as a gps, mount and maps. I ride in wi and the in u.p.
It looks like 7” Nuvi devices are hard to find cheap, but 6” devices can be had new for under $100 and Ram makes a cradle to hold the 67. I might look for a 6” Nuvi that has Canadian streets and try to set one up with trail maps and mount similarly to RockerDan in the handle bar clamp. Using the 1” ball mounts does translate to some added vibes as well as the extra hardware to buy.

If you are will to mess around I would try a cheap eBay model
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Nuv...AOSwHYpZ58uF:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!21157!US!-1

Mount
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-GA67U

Here is some good info on the difference between using a Nuvi and using an outdoor GPS.
http://www.gpstrailmasters.com/our-gps-review/

Actionjack, I'm with you on this one. Was checking it out yesterday.

6" nuvi with ram cradle for under $100.us
Mapping.....$30.

Game over.

red pine mapping is good over lay of gps mapping only like $30 bucks

Have a look at next stage gauges
Very slick unit and a great guy to deal with and more updates to bis system comming
I’m anxious for his gotenna support. Riders will be able to see the others behind and no cell coverage needed
Mike

Back