• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What type of oil when new

My guess would be 0w30 semi synthetic. Probably lists that and 0w40 full synthetic as an alternative.

IDK.....sorry for not reading the question correctly.

Last edited:
Don't use full synthetic until after break-in.

That's an old wife's tale. Syns can be used at any time even during break in. Today's engines are, for the most part, broke in already from the factory so they are nothing like the engines years ago.
Many new vehicles/engines come straight from the factory with synthetic oil already in them. My big reason for using nothing but syn is the cold weather benefits and the protection syn provides compared to dino oil.
Myth: You should break in your engine with conventional oil before you start using synthetic oil.
Again, there’s no manufacturer we know of that makes this recommendation. Mercedes, Porsche, Corvette, some Cadillacs, Volkswagen, Hyundai and many other manufacturers’ cars come from the factory with synthetic oil.

That's an old wife's tale. Syns can be used at any time even during break in. Today's engines are, for the most part, broke in already from the factory so they are nothing like the engines years ago.
Many new vehicles/engines come straight from the factory with synthetic oil already in them. My big reason for using nothing but syn is the cold weather benefits and the protection syn provides compared to dino oil.
Myth: You should break in your engine with conventional oil before you start using synthetic oil.
Again, there’s no manufacturer we know of that makes this recommendation. Mercedes, Porsche, Corvette, some Cadillacs, Volkswagen, Hyundai and many other manufacturers’ cars come from the factory with synthetic oil.

Actually your both right. Full synthetic can be used for break-in but it’s really a waste because your going to drain it after 500 miles anyway. Full Synthetic oils don’t protect any better than conventional oils, but they do break down faster.
I do like the cold startup protection of a synthetic but if you let your sled warm up before you ride it your golden. It’s been proven that some conventional oils protect better, it’s the additives in the oil that really matter for film strength.

It’s been proven that some conventional oils protect better, it’s the additives in the oil that really matter for film strength
I would like to see your data on that, and from a third party lab. Pretty much any brand name full synthetic oil will out perform any conventional oil. Just look at all the new car engines, they generally now call for full synthetic 0W20 oils. Since most of the engine wear occurs at start up, especially for us in the cold weather, full synthetic 0W rated oil is the way to go. On sale, full synthetic oils are only a fraction more than conventional or semi-synthetic oil, so going to a full synthetic is a no brainer.

I would like to see your data on that, and from a third party lab. Pretty much any brand name full synthetic oil will out perform any conventional oil. Just look at all the new car engines, they generally now call for full synthetic 0W20 oils. Since most of the engine wear occurs at start up, especially for us in the cold weather, full synthetic 0W rated oil is the way to go. On sale, full synthetic oils are only a fraction more than conventional or semi-synthetic oil, so going to a full synthetic is a no brainer.

Pretty Much any brand eh?????
You really don’t know what your talking about just assuming all synthetic oil is better than conventional Dino oils.

Here ya go the second oil on the list is a conventional oil.
http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5650045562/m/1631078456

Also please note also that every “Break-in” oil is conventional not synthetic.

That's not true.
What is true is the fact that many conventional oils out perform synthetics but their time is limited. Synthetics last longer.
As for new engines not needing break-in.....also false. How many manufacturers use a torque plate to hone their cylinders? Let me tell you, none. Do they finish plateau hone with a diamond stone? Nope don’t do that either. Yes it’s much better than the old days but you really should break-in any motor if longevity is your goal.

Pretty Much any brand eh?????
You really don’t know what your talking about just assuming all synthetic oil is better than conventional Dino oils.

Here ya go the second oil on the list is a conventional oil.
http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5650045562/m/1631078456

My head hurts after reading this. :confused:

Forget about the break period, what's the best oil to run in:

1. Yamaha 4 stroke snowmobile engines? I've been using Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro oil for years now.

2. My air cooled 28hp Kawasaki twin cylinder 4S motor? This motor is on my zero turn mower. I've been using Valvoline 15W-50 (?) full syn motorcycle oil. This motor is 3 years old and has 210 hours on it.

Back