• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What year is best?

dylanjen9

Expert
Looking to get a couple phazers for kids. What year or models should I stay away from? What signs should I be looking for when buying that something isn’t right?

'09+ are good and have had all the the improvements and updates. '07 and '08 aren't "bad" but did have their issues for the first years, like all new vehicles do. Most important are weak skid suspension link and H-arm. Other issues were relatively minor like the cold weather update, ground block and reverse engagement issues, which can be fixed easily except for the cold weather which requires an ECU replacement ($$$). Another issue that may apply to an '07 with very low miles is the engine reduction gear failure. One member basically bought a low miles barn find and a little later, it blew up. Only a certain range of VIN's were affected and his was one of them. They usually would blow fairly early so they were covered under warranty at the time but not 12 years later.

watch the rails for a crack by the front arm mount as it is a sign of a sled that was jumped lots or ridden extremely hard.

examine the spindles for loose bolts and egged holes as some came loose and wore spindles over time.

they are a good little tough sled that can be a blast to ride.

Most of them will experience some steering slop over time. There are fixes here available for it, but the bushing/washer kit can be time consuming to install. Not impossible, but rather involved.

I still feel this is a great sled for any kid that has some experience with a bike/atv as they will appreciated how it reacts to body english.

Thanks for the info. So stay away from 07-08. Check suspension for cracks and slop. How long do engines last or how many miles is expected out of them?

Stay away from an undocumented 07-08. Those that have all the issues documented, are just fine. My 07 had 5 years of YES, and all fixes documented by Yamaha by VIN. I even sold it with UPBushmans anti slop kit in the box. As I had plans to install it.

Miles on that engine are a non issue. If they also documented oil and chaincase oil changes, you may never run up enough miles to worry about it. There are plenty on here over 7,000 if not over 10,000 miles. I sold mine with plenty and it was as strong as the day it came out of break in mode.

All years, check for A-arm bushing slop. It's a negotiating point and can be replaced with better Oillite bushings. Upper and lower balljoints tend to wear out as well.

07-08 are fine as long as the updates were done.

well i know pat the rat had one he sold with over 50000km on it and i think it was an 07 to boot.

I remember @pat the rat 's Phazer. Well maintained, they last forever.

Do all of the 121 phazers come with the same track? As mentioned the earlier ones have a pretty junky track, curious if they switched the OEM to a decent track.

Do all of the 121 phazers come with the same track? As mentioned the earlier ones have a pretty junky track, curious if they switched the OEM to a decent track.
For the most part, yes. Only the GT had a different track but still 1” lugs. Quite a few used ones out there with the 1.5” Freeride installed though.

So what GT's have the different track? Is this track a decent track? I know everyone says the factory one is junk, my 08 came with a freeride and my MTX has a skidoo cut down.

So what GT's have the different track? Is this track a decent track? I know everyone says the factory one is junk, my 08 came with a freeride and my MTX has a skidoo cut down.
There was the Hacksaw and Ripsaw tracks, can’t remember which models had which tracks but the both a pretty bad.

Back