• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What's the best OEM skid to put in a RX1 shorty?

Goodwrench

It seems like A/C skids are the predominant choice for the RX-1 short track. Is this because they are the best OEM skid? What about Polaris or Ski-Doo?

Most guys that have done the Cat install already have the template for it. So it is easyerrrrrrrrrrr. than trying to figure out new geometry from scratch, for Polaris or Doo slid.

I went with mine because 1. its been done before so I had opinions to go by. 2. The skids are very cheap to buy. There is one with the electronic shocks on ebay right now for $325.00 complete. I bought 2 ZR skids for under $250 each. 3. They give a very good ride, are durable, and are easily tunable.

I really like Doo's SC10III, but they were very hard to find, expensive, and nobody had put one in an RX before, so I passed on them.

Jim

nhrxrider said:
There is one with the electronic shocks on ebay right now for $325.00 complete.Jim

Jim, I just seached the snowmobile parts and accessories categories and could not find that listing. You wouldn't happen to have a link to it? Either I missed it or am blind as a bat. :oops:

Does that sound like a good deal? I see you were able to get yours for a little less. Is this one the same as yours?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT

It just sld for $325 with 1 bid. Sorry. Keep looking though. This wasn't the same as mine...both of mine were '98 ZR skids with Fox rebuildable shocks. I'm not sure if the electronics are rebuildable, and I'm not sure how the setup would be under an RX, but I think it would work well. Hell, even if you weren't happy with the shocks, you could still buy 2 used Fox shocks to install. Keep looking though...there are always ZR skids on there.

I'm no Cat guy, but I think you want to watch for a skid from a larger sled. The last one I bought seems to have been from maybe a 440, since the rails aren't the same as the one I got from a 700. They aren't reinforced as well at the rear and there were a couple other differences. Not a problem for me, since that one is only going under my wife's Couger 550, but I would definately want the one I got from the 700 for the RX, since its a little beefier at a couple areas. Probably anything from a 600 or larger should be good I would think.

Jim

You can buy Cat 136" skids, or you can get a 121 skid and put rail extensions on. The way the skid mounts up, I don't see why you couldn't put the rail extensions on a Cat skid in an RX just like you would for an RX skid. You can get the RX tunnel extension seperate from the rail extensions, so it shouldn't cost any more than buying all the parts for an RX extension kit.

Jim

Thanks for the reply, I already have an extended stock skid and tunnel extension installed, I was just trying to figure out if I could extend a Cat skid like the Proaction. Do you think I could use the same rail extensions? Or do you know where I could get rail extensions for the Cat skid?

Thanks much,
Focker

I'm sure your Yamaha extensions won't work, but www.tracksusa.com has Cat extensions from 121 to 136" for $89.00. You have the option of stock or for 8" wheels. When it comes time for me to buy a new track I'm almost sure I'm going to go with 136" extensions and get a 136 Ripsaw track.

Jim

Thanks nhrx, I have the Ripsaw and it rocks...by far the best money ever spent on a sled of mine by extending the skid and adding the Ripsaw ;)!

Back