• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Wheels...Wheels....Wheels

SERPAGS

Expert
I am just inspecting my wheels before a big ride and noticed that all but 2 wheels are noisy to stiff. Do I need to replace the wheels or can I oil or grease the center bearing?

What maitenance can I do to prevent water getting in?

Should I soak in A/T oil from time to time or at season's end?

If the bearings are getting loud its time to change them.

Once you get the new ones on you can extend their life by adding a good lowtemp synthetic grease. Pop the seals off and pack-em.
But once they are worn the damage is done. If you are doing a long bagger then I would change them out.

These are after market Yamaha wheel,those wheels came with bearing and fit directly on your skid.You can get them for 26.95$can and you can replace or grease the bearing if needed without changing the wheel.

Attachments

• 100_0493 [800x600].jpg
    100_0493 [800x600].jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 192
SERPAGS said:
I am just inspecting my wheels before a big ride and noticed that all but 2 wheels are noisy to stiff. Do I need to replace the wheels or can I oil or grease the center bearing?

I might get a lot of heat for this (master of the cobb job..lol), but I've yet to have one wheel come apart, in over 30 years of lotsa sleds. Even the little marginal snow wheels on my Yammies up front that spin faster. I grease them every 200 miles or so with a needle grease gun. Just stick the needle in, and pump it in. Even bad, noisy wheels keep going. Eventually I replace them, but I get LOTS of miles out of them by needle greasing them all.
Another thing I found, is that the plastic on the cheezy original apex idlers, kinda 'flows'. If you spin them, they run out. But all you have to do, is grab them and bend them until they run true. I wonder if this is why they delaminate on some people..lots of friction when running out side to side. They bend REALLY easy.

I grease them every 200 miles or so with a needle grease gun. Just stick the needle in, and pump it in. Even bad, noisy wheels keep going. .[/quote]

I do the same thing and they run for ever...I upgraded my wheels with 6205 replaceable bearings (idlers) they last a lot longer...

You can get the spoke wheels directly from the Yamaha website.

Attachments

• Rear Susp..jpg
    Rear Susp..jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 174
ok, so here is what I have done so far. I removed the seals of the bearings and they were bone dry. I cleaned them out with cleaner and packed them with grease (the good one). They are 95% better, some still are not smooth as new but they do have 3000 miles on them.

Do you guys think this will hold up or should I shell out the cash for new ones and keep these babies as spare for the long ride?

ROCKRTX said:
There is 2 wheels missing on your suspension?

Yeah. Good eye. the two missing from the rear were the first to delaminate the year I got my sled. I bought the wider bearing style and machined the holders to fit. The bearings were toast after last year so thats why I figured I'd try the spoke wheels, didn't want to machine all the holders. They are missing because I was waiting for the new bearings to arrive. Man, can't get away with anything around here. LOL That's part of what makes this site so helpful.

:rocks:

Back