• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Where Can I put Extra Wheels

MountainMax

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Yamaha Apex
I bought an extra wheel set to put more wheels on my 09 MTX and wondered where is the best part to put them, they are the idler wheel kit from yamaha, regular size, I also bought two sets of marginal wheels to also put in there, can someone direct me in the best places to put them, I was planning on putting one set of marginals right up front near the bend in the rails, but im unsure on the other 2 sets, especially the larger set so it won't interfere with any other parts.

sorry to tell ya this

Don't mean to break your heart but you can put a ton of wheels on the skid and still have problems. They need to be 1/8" bigger in diameter to actually help, yamaha's wheels are actually to small! There are other companies with spacers made or a tad bit bigger wheels to use for this very reason, (search in the Apex&Attack forums for wheel info).
MANY guys have discovered through trial and error that they actually create hot spots on the hyfax in front and behind the wheels tend to wear fast and bad. Most of us have gone to removing the wheels from the outside and running scratchers for frozen conditions. This creates a more even pressure and they wear A LOT less, sounds backwards but it's been proven time and time again! No outside wheels lasts longer. You could have bought a set of Hyperfax for 150.00 which is probably close to the cost of all those wheels. Hyperfax will last for thousands of miles with NO wheels. I run no wheels and two inner rear wheels with great success, hifax has lasted for 800 mils now and I ride a lot of hard trails for miles and miles to get to the good ground. I would return all the wheels, buy some scratchers and a set of Hyperfax and never have to worry about them again! ;)!

Can you run more than 1 set of scrathers- due to length of track?

Thxs.

David :yam:

scratchers

WANNA4STROKE said:
Can you run more than 1 set of scrathers- due to length of track?

Thxs.

>>
I've not heard of anyone running two sets on the rails, suppose you could but one set seems to work just fine. Some guys prefer the scratchers that mount to the inside of the front ski's , maybe run a set up there and a set on the rails if you need the extra cooling for long frozen lake runs at high speed or something?

The cable style is the best for backing up but I am not sold on them- I am trying them out.

There are a variety to try out. Some mount on ski's and some on the rails. Have heard of people drilling a hole in back of skiu and putting a bolt thru- double nut it and adjust down when needed.

Hyfax wear is an issue on these beasts.. I went thru a set in 400 miles. New set I grooved the entire length. Trying that now. If it does not work- I'll try removing wheels.

I don't run the Apex but my RX-1 has gone 2000miles on the current set of hyfax. I removed all the wheels and added scratchers. Here's a picture of my skid with Holtz Racing Products ice scratchers. I just hook them on the rails like pictured when not going down the hardpacked trails.

Jim

Attachments

• RX1 Skid and FRA Mod.jpg
    RX1 Skid and FRA Mod.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3046 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_3046 (Custom).jpg
    24 KB · Views: 83
What about cutting down the track? i would be happy with a 1.75" track , it should help when in harder pack trails too right? there are no mountains where I live, I just wanted to buy a large sled and long track to keep my heavy #*$&@ afloat.......

I run Hyperfax and scratchers on my Apex Mtn - that works well for the conditions I ride in.

can you use ice scratchers and not have to remove any wheels to mount them, and where can I buy hyperfax? i have them on my 02 mmax and never changed them since 03, bought mine at bender racing way back then

scratchers

i only got 500 kilometers on sliders with stock mountain set up,with scratchers.
i since went timbersled front and rear,removed wheels and using scratchers,and my sliders still look new after 500 kilometers(cheap 15 dollar a piece sliders)
imho the yammy wheels are overated,and the sliders are underated

timbersled

http://www.timbersled.com/
i have nothing but good things to say about Allen at timbersled,and would recomend them to anyone.
I broke my rear h arm(my fault) called allen at timbersled and had a new one 200 dollars plus shipping at my door in 5 days.there suspention takes some tweaking to set up how I like it in different snow conditions but once you figure it out,it works,and works well.And you can call Allen at anytime for any questions regarding his products.
good luck D

stock suspention

i do want to add that the stock suspention did also work well for me,my only complaint was the weight.it was a pig to get unstuck.

Back