• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which streaming stick to use?

Out of curiousity I clicked on this thread to find out what a streaming stick is. Living as I do in rural northern Canada I've never heard of them and from this thread it seems I may not be missing much. Reminds me of the time way back when I was in a city and walked into an electronics store. I was greeted "Can I help you'. I replied, "Yes, I'd like to see a DVD player. I was led to the back, looked at them and started to leave. I saw the quizical look on his face and said "I've been hearing about these things for years and just wanted to see one".

Now back under my rock.
This isn't a fad, it's an evolution. Even the largest cable and satellite providors have offered streaming as an alternative, if not changed format completely.

For example, even Directv offers their services as a stream, rather than a satellite signal. So for those that have great Internet access, there is no reason to pay for Cable TV or Satellite TV when you can get all the same streaming. (including live tv) Even companies like Comcast were switching to being a broadband Internet provider and offering up their television bundles with streaming devices instead of expensive cable boxes and multi year leases.

The best part about streaming over the bundled services, Is I pay for what I want and use, and not the bundle that Directv or cable offered up. And I give up nothing as far as programming.

So in your case, do you have broadband Internet access? my guess is you are in are in a remote location and use Satellite TV? If so, this thread does not apply to you.

If like me, I have fiber coming into my home and see no reason in paying for Dish or DirecTV. And I pay way less. The younger generations are an "on demand" society too. They will not wait for the 6pm or 10pm news or weather. They will just go get it when they need it. They will not wait for that new episode of Survivor, they will let them all play out and binge watch the entire season over a weekend without commercials.

Biff

I haven't had a TV for almost 30 years. About two years ago I saw video of jet liners crashing into office towers for the first time.

Biff

I haven't had a TV for almost 30 years. About two years ago I saw video of jet liners crashing into office towers for the first time.

I envy you and your rock. You aren't missing anything and I am involved in the technology that drives the 'streaming sticks'.

I envy you and your rock. You aren't missing anything and I am involved in the technology that drives the 'streaming sticks'.
Thanks Earthling, after a while of living like this a guy actually can't go back. No, I'm not missing anything ... I know what's going on, have an opinion and do my part but being immersed in tech wouldn't add. That said I'm not ruling out getting an indoor toilet some day.

I have multiple ROKU's, I have never had an issue with any of them, various models, an Ultra in my living room at my main TV, the large soundbar outside at my jacuzzi, the smaller soundbar in my pool room then a couple of the basic models in bedrooms etc... the basic models process a little slower but other than that no issues..

I even have one set aside for travel, I bring at all with me. It's up at camp for the winter.

BTW the soundbars sound amazing especially for the money!!

Biff

But you have a computer on the Internet sitting on TY on a regular basis. So yes, you have all the functionality of a streaming stick, it just looks like a computer.

That's all it literally is, a computer in the size of your finger with one main purpose, to run the apps to stream music and video, to a television rather than the screen you are looking at right now.

You currently can do anything we are doing with a stick as all the services I pay for, I can fire up right here in a browser

We have used the Firestick and Firestick 4K, and over time we have found the 4K must have quite a bit more hp/cache, as it has had better longevity as far as performance going through menus. Once streaming, they have all done just fine.

One thing I do love way better is our Xbox One X. Going through menus, and picture/sound quality are way better. Obviously, it's not a $30 USB stick, but if you needed a reason, do it.

The one thing that makes the xbox run so much better as a streamer is a dedicated AV remote for the xbox. It's always on, and just picking it up, the buttons light up. We run our entire theatre room with the xbox. It fires up the stereo and projector from the AV remote. Unlike the controllers which shut down about the time you need to pause the video for a bio-break.

I'm a bit biased as a Microsoft FTE, I get to try out new apps and games before the general public. I am pretty excited about the cool apps that run so well on xbox that I have tested in beta.

Sirius XM, Amazone Prime Music, Apple TV, Disney Plus, Paramount, and GamePass

Good luck!

View attachment 175548
An Xbox is not in the budget as I need to buy 3.

Apple TV is the way to go but its not cheap. Sound and video quality is first rate. I have it tied into my Denon reciever. I also have the Firestick 4k. It was so glitchy when I first bought it.

Roku Ultra has been awesome for me for years. But it is not a stick so it is more robust. Supports Dolby Vision, HDR etc.

Maybe I should just sell my farms and become a neighbour to YukonMP. If I had snow all winter I wouldn't have any need to stare at a TV or computer nearly as often.
With the massive amount of content available these days, it's amazing how much of it is terrible.
I don't know if there will ever be another series as good as Breaking Bad.
I am watching The Old Man currently. It's alright.

Back