• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which suspension do you recommend for my Apex?

I´ve been thinking of buying a Timbersled MTN tamer suspension for my 2006 Apex ER, but still I´m wondering is it the right choice for me. I need suggestions with some good arguments on different kinds of aftermarket skids. I´m thinking of 144" long construction, but I´ll consider anything from 136" ---->

I have zero exprience on aftermarket skids, so any help is appreciated!

My riding is about 50% on rough trails (aggressive driving) and 50% on off trails, deep snow, ditch bangin etc. freeride.

Any suggestions?

For ditch bangin, I'd suggest you stay away from the mountain skids. There's no coupling, something that'll help prevent bottoming big time. From there suit yourself. Extend an OEM (Cat, Poo, Doo) skid or go aftermarket.

ahicks said:
For ditch bangin, I'd suggest you stay away from the mountain skids. There's no coupling, something that'll help prevent bottoming big time. From there suit yourself. Extend an OEM (Cat, Poo, Doo) skid or go aftermarket.

Actually, I just looked at the timbersled, and it definitely *does* have coupling. In fact, its coupling is very similar to that on a yamaha proaction skid.

However, this alone doesn't make it suitable for the OP's type of riding. To start with, you need more WHEELS for trail riding. Timbersled has only back wheels, upper wheels, and anti-stab wheels. This suspension is made for the explicit purpose of being LIGHT WEIGHT.

For bashing it around, you need something made to be DURABLE, and expertx is the epitome of solid construction.

Mtn tamer

I run a mtn tamer as well and couldn't be happier. get all your shims set up right to match your horse power and you stylin. :Rockon:

wheels

You can run as many wheels as you like with mtn tamer. Especially if your going to be on the trail running hardpack. If your not gonna run all your wheels you definatly want some scratchers,

Coming from a trail rider and ditchbanger that loves suspension swaps, I'm on year 4 of my ZX2 and I have pounded out about 4500 miles on it between two sleds and it now finally needs the shocks gone through. I love not having to worry about anything breaking and I love I dont have to grease it.

Its as close to indestructible as you can get in a rear suspension, it also rides like a performance sled, anything you throw at it, it spits it out the back and your amazed what it did.

Its adjustable from mild to wild, in one positon I get about 3" lift on hard pack, in another I get 2-3'. In deep snow it will stand on its tail no matter what....soooo much fun.

ahicks said:
You were asking about weight transfer earlier. If that's of any concern you can take the M-10 off your list.
Very good, this is the kind of information I´m looking for. There´s so much to read from the web that it´s kinda impossible to have simple answers to these questions from elsewhere, so :rocks:

Ran into a guy at the hoop last week on an Apex RTX sitting on a 136 Airwave Diamond. He loved it but said it was a pain to install. Food for thought!

Back