• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which tows easier ?

srvfan

Expert
choices would be a 12 foot clam shell weighs about 600 lb
A 7x14 hybrid drop axle 64" interior height weighs about 1300
A 7x14 vnose which is the heaviest I forget , maybe 1700 ?

The clam is a parachute at 102" wide but the rear is shorter ( less rear drag ) and its lighter
The hybrid and v nose have considerably smaller frontal area , however they are at least double the weight and are hindered by the large rear door which poses significant drag . to me the hybrid wins as it splits the difference weight wise and its lower overall height . One could also build a fold in tail cone to lower drag further .
We are talking highway speeds here 70-75 mph . Obviously a true inline say 5x20 with tapered rear and seperate ramp not a ramp door would be the best but nobody makes one

do you have any models/pics?
I'm not following your points about the rear doors causing significant drag. Some drag would be created, but I wouldn't call it significant, frontal area and overall weight will cause more fuel consumption. I think you are overthinking this unless you are keeping the trailer for a really long time and pulling LOTS of miles.

The rear tall ramp doors create significant drag as opposed to something that tapers down. Think of the shape of a 747 or similar airliner the front nose area is actually the largest and it tapers towards the rear . While counter intuitive it is aerodynamically correct. The older clam shells would taper down at the rear and they are more efficient compared to the new high back ones. The new narrow drop axel trailers (7ft wide) all have tall rear ramp doors so that hurts them , and they weigh more. The clam though has that extra frontal area so I'm wondering if anybody has actually tested them or put them in a wind tunnel.......ya I'm over thinking maybe but at work I'm in energy efficiency so it's pretty much what I'm thinking about all the time anyhow.

the most aerodynamic shape is actually a tear drop so you'd want something that tapers to the rear . Some years ago E&J in Canada made an inline like that and so did Team TOMCO , theirs was a fiberglass top like a Topcap

Oops, I thought this thread was about Poo, Cat, and Doo.

LOL the cats are def hard to tow as typically they are dead from blown shaft bearings because people don't Know to grease them, like pulling a stump

Back