• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Who has the best primary rollers?

MDGFLHR

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 Apex SE
My rollers are still good after 2800 miles but gonna be proactive and replace them ahead of time. I know some have had issues with stock rollers and exploding primaries have been the result for some. I plan on staying with stock size 14.5mm I believe correct me if I'm wrong. I upgraded my secondary rollers from day one with Ulmer Racing STM rollers and have been great. Also is there any performance benefit from different primary rollers? Thanks ride safe everyone

Main thing is to keep a eye on them. Thunder Products has them. Or run the stock ones if you can get them. Don’t overthink it. Just check your clutches every 500-600 miles.

It seems to me that the stock rollers hold up a bit better on my buds machine. He seems to wear out the thunder primary rollers very quickly, first set didn't go two days or 300 miles, he seems to wear them out like candy. He's running Precision tune up around 9000 RPM or even higher. I try to keep my Hurricane tunes down below 8800 RPM. So not sure if the higher RPM is hard on them or the roller it self, but he also eats stock rollers as well, they just seem to go much longer between changes.

I'm now up over 1600 miles on the stock rollers and had to push one busing back in place at around 600 miles, but its been fine since. So just as I suspected, keep the belts from blowing and the rollers will go many more miles that if you are blowing belts.

Still on my original primary rollers, now at 4200 miles.
Ecotrail for around 1500-2000 miles, and about 1200 on Max Spool 16, for my 4200 mile total.
Still more to come this year with lots more riding ahead!

At this point I see no reason to try anything but Yamaha. One of guys I ride with has over 6000kms on his Winder, most of them tuned. Recently removed and inspected. They are good.

Here's my TP rollers after 3000km.

20200328_124457.jpg

I'm tempted to try these old Nytro 14.5mm rollers I have laying around.

20200328_124936.jpg

Last edited:
It seems to me that the stock rollers hold up a bit better on my buds machine. He seems to wear out the thunder primary rollers very quickly, first set didn't go two days or 300 miles, he seems to wear them out like candy. He's running Precision tune up around 9000 RPM or even higher. I try to keep my Hurricane tunes down below 8800 RPM. So not sure if the higher RPM is hard on them or the roller it self, but he also eats stock rollers as well, they just seem to go much longer between changes.

I'm now up over 1600 miles on the stock rollers and had to push one busing back in place at around 600 miles, but its been fine since. So just as I suspected, keep the belts from blowing and the rollers will go many more miles that if you are blowing belts.

Please share with everyone the clutch setup that your bud is running. Which clutch is he running? I have asked for this information from you in 2 more posts and have not received anything in return.

(Please read this closely and this is for everyone) The extremely heavy weights with the heavy spring "IN THE SIDEWINDER PRIMARY" is what is causing ALL rollers to fail very quickly.....THE SIDEWINDER CLUTCH is the problem, not our rollers or any of our competitors rollers.

Extensive testing has been done and these are the facts from testing, reviews, racing, customer feedback and from all social media out there.
Thunder Products rollers have been in production for 17 years and now that the Sidewinder primary comes out, there is a roller problem. Think about that for a moment....
Next is, it's not a horsepower thing either as we sell the previous style primary to our high hpr customers and no matter what weights they run, their Thunder Products Clutching rollers are perfect after thousands of miles. Apex's that were running close to 500 hpr not having roller problems...why? Cause they aren't running a Sidewinder Primary clutch.

I'm not here to be in an argument with anyone, but I'm also not going to read something about a problem with our rollers wearing out very quickly.... when it isn't our rollers that are the problem, It's the Sidewinder primary clutch which has been proven time and time again by testing, changing over to the previous style Yamaha primary and proven results.

Last edited:
I just finished a 2500 mile + season on my Hurricane tuned SM Sidewinder. I have TP 14.8 rollers with Dalton weights and springs in my stock primary clutch.
I have been dissembling and inspecting components on my sled including primary and secondary clutches and have found virtually zero wear on the Primary Clutch TP Rollers inner bushings and outer surface. I have a new set of rollers but elected not to install them as the ones with 2500 miles are still very usable.
I have been using Thunder Products 911 covers and rollers ,since they were first available, in my 800VMAX4, 700 SRX, Apex Attak. and now Sidewinder with zero issues.

Works for me

Last edited:
I’ve had great luck with my 2017 stock primary rollers! 15000kms on her now with 6000kms being with Hurricane SM SS bundle. The primary rollers are in great shape. The second on the other hand has gone through the stock ones then are now on a set of HI-Torque rollers with decent results. Just my findings. Let’s hope the new sled is as good!!

Please share with everyone the clutch setup that your bud is running. Which clutch is he running? I have asked for this information from you in 2 more posts and have not received anything in return.

(Please read this closely and this is for everyone) The extremely heavy weights with the heavy spring "IN THE SIDEWINDER PRIMARY" is what is causing ALL rollers to fail very quickly.....THE SIDEWINDER CLUTCH is the problem, not our rollers or any of our competitors rollers.

Extensive testing has been done and these are the facts from testing, reviews, racing, customer feedback and from all social media out there.
Thunder Products rollers have been in production for 17 years and now that the Sidewinder primary comes out, there is a roller problem. Think about that for a moment....
Next is, it's not a horsepower thing either as we sell the previous style primary to our high hpr customers and no matter what weights they run, their Thunder Products Clutching rollers are perfect after thousands of miles. Apex's that were running close to 500 hpr not having roller problems...why? Cause they aren't running a Sidewinder Primary clutch.

I'm not here to be in an argument with anyone, but I'm also not going to read something about a problem with our rollers wearing out very quickly.... when it isn't our rollers that are the problem, It's the Sidewinder primary clutch which has been proven time and time again by testing, changing over to the previous style Yamaha primary and proven results.

He was running Ulmer's STM setup in the Winder primary with Ulmers lite pink spring. Now has the Apex clutch on and no more roller issues. Same weights, same primary spring.

I mentioned earlier somewhere that both of us swapped to the old style primary and both of us improved the performance and the roller eating is now in the rear-view mirror as well. The old Primaries fixed all the belt and roller issues we both had in the past. Never again will the Winder primary go back on the machine for either one of us, until they get traded or sold.

Back