• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Who is running TAPP Primary clutch??

Fleecer

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2019 SRX
Who has first hand knowledge and/or experience with TAPP primary clutch? This topic has been alluded to in other posts, but I want to hear from people with firsthand experience.

1. How many years/miles have you been running it?

2. What are you using for a secondary clutch?

3. Please share horsepower/rpm and settings in the clutch.

4. Share any other pertinent info such as: faster/slower, belt life, etc.

Seconded. I'm looking forward to WinterWolf's write-up. He has a TAPP primary and Pro 4 secondary.

I am. I am still tuning it but I can tell you that is one smooth operator. Much more bite on the bottom end than regular flyweights, reminds me of how the Heelclickers grab the belt and drive the sled forward. It is defiantly a better performer than my best set up with the stock clutch's.
Quiet
SMT Hurricane bundle.
Pro-4 secondary.
I have run it for a while but wasn't able to tune it for a good bit of those as I was on a trip.
I just installed the +1 rollers vs. the +2 rollers and have yet to run it.

I am. I am still tuning it but I can tell you that is one smooth operator. Much more bite on the bottom end than regular flyweights, reminds me of how the Heelclickers grab the belt and drive the sled forward. It is defiantly a better performer than my best set up with the stock clutch's.
Quiet
SMT Hurricane bundle.
Pro-4 secondary.
I have run it for a while but wasn't able to tune it for a good bit of those as I was on a trip.
I just installed the +1 rollers vs. the +2 rollers and have yet to run it.

Stain,
Thanks for sharing. Would the TAPP work with factory secondary and/or have you ever tried it?

I have just put them on and did a 250 mile trip with them. I have the TAPP and STM roller secondary. I noticed that after a short run I could put my bare hand on both clutches. Low end take off is fast and smooth and very reliable. I'm running the MAX16 270 HP TD tune. I have XF9000 High country 153 with 21/41 gearing and the sled flies, both of shoulder sockets will attest to that. I plan on playing with the clutch tuning some but this was my first time out on the sled and I was more learning the sled on poor snow conditions. I did have a f1100 turbo to compare it too and this sled with these clutches is smooth and fast, with very linear pull. I'm real happy with them and think with some more tweaking I think they will be dang near perfect.

Stain,
Thanks for sharing. Would the TAPP work with factory secondary and/or have you ever tried it?

Glenn, I was told By the performance shop that did mine, you can certainly run the TAPP with a stock Secondary, and the difference would be Significant! But when you put the two together(TAPP with the Pro 4), it’s just “lights out” compared to the stock stuff/and the “ultimate set up” is what I was told.

I’ll be getting up to your neighborhood in two weeks..so I’ll know a lot more obviously at that time. Can’t wait to light this beotch up lol.

I bought a Tapp clutch last week to use in the mountains. Its quiet and pulls way harder on the bottom end. Need to recalibrate the secondary. I tried the secondary the way I had it set up with the yamaha primary and would not rev past 8100 rpm with 39 helix. Im going to try stock 35 helix soon and wait for a pro 4 to come. I also installed a mcx stage 3 kit.

Who has first hand knowledge and/or experience with TAPP primary clutch? This topic has been alluded to in other posts, but I want to hear from people with firsthand experience.

1. How many years/miles have you been running it?

2. What are you using for a secondary clutch?

3. Please share horsepower/rpm and settings in the clutch.

4. Share any other pertinent info such as: faster/slower, belt life, etc.

I have over 3,000 miles on mine, love it, have posted here a lot. I run a old school STM secondary (same as pro4) on an AC with an XS belt and 22/41 gears. 300HP hurricane header tune this year and 272 d&d last year. It's amazing. See my other posts for more info. Make sure you get +1 rollers, not +2's however.

I have over 3,000 miles on mine, love it, have posted here a lot. I run a old school STM secondary (same as pro4) on an AC with an XS belt and 22/41 gears. 300HP hurricane header tune this year and 272 d&d last year. It's amazing. See my other posts for more info. Make sure you get +1 rollers, not +2's however.

Sounds Great TCat. Can’t wait to try mine out soon. I did get the +1 rollers on your recommendation. This is Great news here!

I would love to know more about how to tune the clutch. For instance turning the buttons to a higher number raises your so and so, so much. Turning the ramps from A to B raises engagement x amount, turning half the ramps from A to B raises engagement x amount and raises top rpm x amount. I think you get the gist of what I am asking. Having this info would help alot with fine tuning it.

I would love to know more about how to tune the clutch. For instance turning the buttons to a higher number raises your so and so, so much. Turning the ramps from A to B raises engagement x amount, turning half the ramps from A to B raises engagement x amount and raises top rpm x amount. I think you get the gist of what I am asking. Having this info would help alot with fine tuning it.

Well I know turning the clickers/buttons to a higher number raise your top RPM by 50 Revs. And conversely turning them down a number lowers your Top RPM by 50 Revs. There are 6 settings for this. And the way I understand it is that those clickers/buttons are for fine tuning.
After that I’m a little lost lol....

Just talked to Dave at Powder Lites. Got one coming my way. Tcat100's posts about it sold me. I asked Dave what secondary he recommended, and he basically said most guys are running the stock secondary with an upgraded spring. It's tough not falling into the mindset that everything factory can be made better, but what's the consensus on the best secondary setup to run with the TAPP? I see a lot of guys getting the Pro 4, and I know WinterWolf has the TAPP/Pro 4 set up. Does anyone have any ride time on this setup or any other TAPP/Secondary setup they recommend? Thanks.

Haven't even rode the sled yet, and had all the goodies for the stock clutching ready to go for the Hurricane 270 tune. TP 911 cover, primary & secondary rollers, & belt adj. Dalton, DTYA-1's, B/O spring, billet 35/39 helix, XS825. Wanted to "bulletproof" the setup as much as possible before it even hit the snow. Season is way to short and trips are way to valuable and the last thing you want is a belt blower, breaking components, etcetc. When its all said and done, you still hear horror stories about the stock clutching. Decided to scratch plan 1 and bite the bullet: TAPP and PRO4. Didnt receive the PRO4 yet and will update pics when installed.
002.JPG

Back