• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Who's having a bad snowmobile season

20/80

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 APEX LE XTX
Well I thought I would start this subject because I was wondering if any body else's snowmobile season has completely sucked!!! very little snow here in Nova Scotia Canada with unbelievable temp swings, just when you think the snow is starting to pile up at 20(-12c) degree's F the temp swings to 60(+12c ) degrees F in 8 hrs and rains all the snow away, Feb is our prime snowmobiling time, not this year, Apex 3 miles. :( :drink:

Sucky year for temps, up and down like a yo-yo in southern Ontario. Lucky we haven’t lost the lake. Did lots of riding lakeshore, one trip on trails. Think I’m around 700 km so far. Melting here right now, grass showing +12 this week coming. If we get snow in march may get a few more miles, we will see. Season could be over. It in mother nature's hands.

Sucky year for temps, up and down like a yo-yo in southern Ontario. Lucky we haven’t lost the lake. Did lots of riding lakeshore, one trip on trails. Think I’m around 700 km so far. Melting here right now, grass showing +12 this week coming. If we get snow in march may get a few more miles, we will see. Season could be over. It in mother nature's hands.
Yeah, we are hoping march brings 1 week of snowmobiling here, a lot can happen in 24 hrs in this neck of the woods as far as snowfall, its going to be tropical weather wise here next week, 2 years ago 3 - 4 ft of snow was on the ground here it was assume.

I know the feeling since the Black Hills was pretty crappy last year, but this year has been amazing! Best riding in years!

I know the feeling since the Black Hills was pretty crappy last year, but this year has been amazing! Best riding in years!
I'm glad your having a great season, there is snow about 6 -7 hours north of here, maybe thinking a 2 -3 day trip, hard to organize around work and your buddies work though.

My local trails won't even open this year because snow keeps fading away with rain and warm temps. Adding to this is that my local trails opened up last year for 3 days I think? And the year before that was maybe 4 days?

Bad when you pay trail passes for 4 sleds and only get to ride the trails a couple days.

My local trails won't even open this year because snow keeps fading away with rain and warm temps. Adding to this is that my local trails opened up last year for 3 days I think? And the year before that was maybe 4 days?

Bad when you pay trail passes for 4 sleds and only get to ride the trails a couple days.
I here you man, but I guess the trails regardless still got to be maintained, signage, bridges,brush cut back, we use the trails here for ATVing also when snow conditions are to low for snowmobiling we don't close them, so that helps, shows your a strong supporter for the sport but still are hard pill to swallow.

Well those thoughts have crossed my mind to, but I just came to accept that here in Nova Scotia its hit or miss when it comes to snow, 2 years ago there was 3 - 4 ft on the level here, some areas had a hard time grooming with just to much snow, last year was a bit soggy but got 2-3 weeks of good sledding later in the season, I love snowmobiling there's just nothing else like it, but that's the evil when you are a strong supporter of the sport not all winters will be in your favor, but when you do get a awesome winter all is forgotten, I just came to accept that and stopped stressing myself out about it, hang in there bud.

Just that the bad seasons far outnumber the good ones nowadays. Hard to keep the faith. And of course, if I do quit and sell the sled, snowmageddon would happen.

That's funny and sad at the same time.

I have a total of 50 miles this year.

3 crappy years in a row for Central NY area. We had snow early in the season only to have 60°F temps and 2 inches of rain wipe it all away. Only consistent ridable snow has been in the Tug hill region. I have a trailer and don't mind driving to ride when I have the time. It is nice to be able to get home and head out locally for a night ride which has been non-existent for me.

Today and tomorrow it is raining and over 60°F pretty much all over the state with lowes near 50°F. Any ridable snow up north is likely to be gone after this weather pattern.

Looking forward to 2018/2019 winter, but now looking forward to summer riding the ATV and bike.

I haven't rode my snowmobile on the local trails in two years. Had to travel 8 hours to the U.P. and a couple of trips to Northern MN which is 4.5 hours. But it sure is fun when you get there!!

Hasn't been a bad year, but different for sure, had 3' of snow in January, then rain almost killed it all, got 3 more feet of snow, now stupid warm temps & rain this week going to give a beating to the snow. The temperature changes are crazy, never seen anything like it before, -30* one week, +10 all the next week.

Back