• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Why does the snowmobile industry not use a grip throttle?

CaptianC

Pro
Odd Question. Why did the snowmobile industry not use a grip throttle like bikes? On a bike, if you speed shift or power-brake, you gotta hold on, but you have all of your digits on the throttle-bar, and if your feet are dangling off the back, well your in deep %^it.. Sledding, you lose access to your power finger, thumb, because its off the handlebar and on the lever throttle. To compensate for the cold, the industry made the lever (throttle) heat up, but was trying to figure out why not have a throttle like a bike?

Take it from the point where your feet are dangling someplace out in back of you/you're off balance or out of shape somehow. Which is going to be easier to shut down without totally losing control?

Twist grips are impossible to let go of if you get out of shape......

One unscheduled trip out into the woods on a twist grip quad (full tilt Banshee) was enough to convince me......

Its something you get used to.I run twist on my quad and bikes but on sled and PWC I like the thumb.Probably because on both the sled and the PWC slight motions dont make them jerk at slowspeeds or in whooped out stuff.The quad I never could get used to thumb throttle and thumb was always sore at end of day.Twist also is kind of a compromise for right hand turns also but rules for left.Might have to give up heated grip also with a twist.

To big of a risk of a frozen open throttle situation.

KnappAttack said:
To big of a risk of a frozen open throttle situation.

absolutely! my uncle put one on his old mach 1, it had a problems with sticking, especially at wide open. he actually put it thru the back bay door of his shed, he just gave it a little goose to get it up the ramp when it stuck and before he could hit the brake he had gone straight thru the (closed) overhead door... but of coarse it was a ski-dont so that was the first problem right there

I had a twist throttle on my 04 Warrior, I does take a little getting used to but you can't beat it on rough trails. You can hang on a lot better. 5k miles and I never had any problems with freezing but I mostly ride in Pa. and NY. It doesn't get really cold here. The only reason I didn't put it on my Attak was the curved bar ends.

a motorcycle you lean to turn - a sled you steer to turn - its the same with atvs

06GT said:
a motorcycle you lean to turn - a sled you steer to turn - its the same with atvs
Exactly. A thump throttle works better on a sled because you use your upper body to steer the sled and you can crank on the bars harder with a thumb throttle. With a twist throttle on a sled you would have the tendency unintentionaly gas it when turning to the left.
On a bike most of the steering is controlled with your body English, so a twist works just fine.
I know a few people who put a twist throttle on their quads and found out exactly why quads dont come with twist throttles.

Back