• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Why does this keep happening?

CTGT2005

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 Sidewinder LTX SE
03 ZR900
2018 LTX..... Brand new qs3r rear and qs3 center shock. Both set on 2 for compression. Handles and rides perfect except this keeps happening. Just put new ones on this winter after it did it the last time. IMAG3752_1.jpg

Split the bottom out bumpers in half. What's the fix for this?

I am all of 175lbs with gear. I can't see why I am bottoming so hard. I've tried turning the torsion up to 2 but makes the #*$&@ end ride too high up. I'd rather turn the rear shock to level 3 or increase the coupling before setting the preload more.

It's only on the deepest whoops and g-outs that I feel bottoming. I'm less concerned about it bottoming than the fact it is splitting the bumpers.

The springs are for your weight, you don’t want to ride on the shocks, they will break, look at your manual,you probably for your WEIGHT one side 1 and 2 on other side,SPRING holds your weight, I usually slow down for the big bumps. When setting up sled your springs are first , setting sag,

I’ve heard others also complaining about what sounds like weak springs.

Just for comparison, My 17 LTX LE rear spring stays on it’s lowest setting always. My rear shock on 1 lowers the sled a bit and provides a really plush ride in all but the worse bumps. If I want ditch banging suspension I just adjust that rear shock to 2 and nothing bottoms it out. I weigh 205-210! 3 Is a joke.

Shock set on 2 with nothing else changed does hold the sled back up higher.

Last edited:
You want 3-4 inches of sag when sitting on sled outside in the cold after you have gone down the trail a few miles. Not in the garage or after you started the sled in the cold for the morning ride. All gear on out riding sitting flat ground, in your preferred position on seat. IMO more then 4 inches your to soft on springs. Like the other poster mentioned. The springs hold your weight.

Is it really bad to put the rear shock up to #3

Is it really bad to put the rear shock up to #3

On my 17 LTXLE with QS3r, suspension shocks set on 3, it becomes way too stiff and the springs do not get much of a chance to work. Not saying it’s “really bad”, just saying I would need to be maybe another 100 lbs heavier and at the X games jumping and landing those crazy jumps. Maybe the OP could use the 3 settings on his 18 SE.

Have to wonder about spring force on different years and models from what I read. For sure different style shocks vary greatly from type to type on different models and years.

I know both my buddy and I just had our shocks refreshed prior to this season by the same guy.
His 17 RTX-LE (129”)was softer then mine on same settings prior to the shock refresh, and is still a softer set up now.

Torsion springs are the same on the 17, 18, 19 SE and LE models so that can't be the cause.

8JX-G7473-00-00
8JX-G7474-00-00

Revisiting this again, is anyone aware of an heavy duty bump stop or a way to retrofit something more durable?

Center shock spring was too soft on mine. Put in the 160lb rate spring and adjusted to my liking.
I'm 215lbs and my sled hardly ever bottoms out. Rear springs set on soft.
I dont ditch bang. Just trail ride.

Could be you lost some nitrogen charge on the shock. I've seen a few of the shocks leaking from the fill point.

The shocks were brand new last year from Yamaha parts fiche. They are all set on #2, spring in the front is a straight 160lb with about 10mm preload.

The coupling blocks are in place still, factory location.

I may have hit a couple hidden water bars but definitely not ditch banging with this machine. I'm less concerned about the occasional bottoming just that it keeps splitting the bumpers and eating into my rails.

Have you tried upping the compression damping?
Too much spring is going to affect your rebound and make it bouncy. If you can get the correct ride height with the spring somewhere in the middle of its preload the spring is likely not the issue. If you have to max out spring preload then there's probably an issue.

Also, you said more preload makes it ride too high up. Is that your opinion or the manufacturer's recommended settings? If you're running more sag than recommended you need a stiffer spring and more damping to control it properly.

Back