• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

WHY HAVE A CHAINCASE ANYMORE?POLARIS FIGURED IT OUT

rtx moose

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder LTX LE,2007 RTX,2000 SRX700
I NOTICED POLARIS NO LONGER IS CHAIN DRIVEN,,A VERY VERY SIMPLE WEIGHT SAVING CHANGE THAT JUST BLOWS MY MIND WHY DID NOBODY THINK OF THIS YEARS AGO?YAMAHA WOULD JUST HAVE TOO FIGURE OUT THE REVERSE SETUP...

I NOTICED POLARIS NO LONGER IS CHAIN DRIVEN,,A VERY VERY SIMPLE WEIGHT SAVING CHANGE THAT JUST BLOWS MY MIND WHY DID NOBODY THINK OF THIS YEARS AGO?YAMAHA WOULD JUST HAVE TOO FIGURE OUT THE REVERSE SETUP...

Nope...Crazy Mountain Extreme had this system on their mountain sleds in the 90s...Polaris just copied it.

http://www.crazymtn.com/sifiso/pages/cmxds.html

Just like with a-arm front suspensions they probably just were waiting for patents to run out.

Not so sure a belt is better... A properly maintained chain will last a LONG time! Look at timing chains in cars. Timing belts generally are 60k to 105k mileage replacement. There is no replacement interval on timing chains, they last more or less the life of the engine.

The belt life on a timing belt style drive will far exceed the life of alot of other components on the sled. Not only that but they're simple to change. Weight savings alone and one less stinky fluid is a nice bonus too.

There is a kit to convert your Yami to a belt drive or at least there was in about 2000 or so. Making a belt drive with a reverse without making it as heavy as a chain drive and still keeping it inside the shroud! That would be quite a job. Would need two belts or like our reverse now or a ton of gears and there goes your weight savings and you replaced it with a bulkier system.

The Phazer doesn't have the revers in the chaincase, it's located between the chaincase and the secondary clutch.

Should be possible to make a direct injected, electronic valve, 4S run backwards also. Think of the weight savings with no cam shaft & no chaincase.

Polaris has had all sorts of issues with the belt drive from long breakin to short life.
I'll take my chances with the current design.

Last edited:
Only a few models of Polaris have belt drive. Most of them still have gears and chain. If belt drive was the bomb, then all their sleds would have it.

Should be possible to make a direct injected, electronic valve, 4S run backwards also. Think of the weight savings with no cam shaft & no chaincase.

You betcha......but what would the sled MSRP out at?

Back