• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Wich way does coolant flow to carb's???

RX1-er-2005

Expert
Can anybody tell me wich way coolant flows from top of engine to carbs on a '05 RX1...here's why,I want to install a shut-off valve and the valve I have has to be flow directive and I need to know if the flow is coming from the large hose top left of engine to or from carbs...I'm trying to make this simple :?

I've read on this site that by doing this it makes it easier to start when running in warmer weather...less vapor lock,of course when running in colder weather I'd flow/warm the carbs to keep'm from freezing...

Has anybody done this and if yes where you satisfied with the results or any improvement on overall performance? :4STroke:

I also want to "sinc" carbs any advise? :D

There have been a few exhaust fires that can be attributed to carb coolant shutoffs, so I'd advise against it. Even at above freezing temperatures, with the coolant shut off, under vacuum, the air flowing through the carbs can drop below freezing and cause the carbs to freeze.

As for the sYnc(hronization), use at LEAST two vacuum gauges, at idle, connect them to the fittings at the top of the carbs, adjust the screws between the carbs until each pair of carbs creates the same reading.

I did mine two seasons ago and am really happy with the results. The coolant shut-off comes standard on the mountain sleds so one route is to buy the parts directly from Yamaha.

I installed mine on the tube going from the top left (as you are sitting on the sled) of the motor. I bought a ski-doo valve (same ones that they install for coolant shut off).

I usually crack the valve about half open to just restrict the flow. You could do the same thing by inserting an old carb jet into the line. On really warm days I will shut it all the way off, on really cold days I open it up. You can tell when you need to make an adjustment. When the carbs are freezing the motor will miss and not be responsive. When the carbs are too warm it will start hard (fuel is too warm in the carbs).

The 03 Mountain sleds should have come with this as standard equipment, it took them a year to figure it out, but at least they got it right eventually.

Back