• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Wider Ski for my Viper!

Lee Rivers 1

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Nytro RTX
Wondering what make of wider skis people are using on their Vipers. I need more floatation on my Viper... but still need the handling in the trails. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..

Love my Arctic cat pro climb 7 ski's, better flotation and single keel carbide bites way better than tuner skis

Anything would be better than Tuners when it comes to flotation. I kept mine with Snow Trackers, and they perform well on the trail, but I have no doubt I would sink out of sight if I tried anything in deep snow.

I use the SLP Mohawks on two Viper XTX's, and they are a super off trail ski that bite like crazy on the trails. In fact, my only negative on the Mohawks is that I haven't found a way to reduce the necessary steering effort. I added Bill Mohr's spring, and softened my front shocks and that helped, but there is still more steering effort required than I would like to see. Still, I love the ski and feel very confident about how it will hold on the trail, and about its flotation off trail.

I used curve’s, they float in the fluff, and when matched with snow trackers, the preform on the trail. Ran a good bit of mileage on that setup and was very happy.

Ran the C&A crossover skis before the above setup and honestly didn’t like the trail manners of the C&A’S. I guess it’s just personal preference.

I like my Arctic Cat M8 mountain skiis. Was a bit of custom work to get the proper shape for the rubber pad so ski had proper angle of attack but they work great.

I just bought some SLP Mohawks and I’m hoping I can get them to perform close to the stock 6” cat skis that came on my XF7000. They performed well in all conditions (except the deep stuff, they get a 5/10 in pow), and the steering effort was almost nothing. I was really impressed. I could ride all day and into the night and my shoulders were never tired. They had the 4” staggered carbides so they didn’t dart either. I may experiment with the carbides on the SLP’s. Now that I’ve had a sled that takes little steering effort I don’t really want to go back to riding a sled that steers like a bulldozer.

MY vote : Slydog 7" Powder hounds with Snowtrackers. I tried C&A Razors last year and went back to the Slydog's . Awesome float and great on the trail .

MY vote : Slydog 7" Powder hounds with Snowtrackers. I tried C&A Razors last year and went back to the Slydog's . Awesome float and great on the trail .

Do you run the aggressive or semi-aggressive snow trackers?

Do you run the aggressive or semi-aggressive snow trackers?
I run Semi Aggressive and they track perfect. I think the Reverse Keel and the intake channel works perfectly on these skis. With this ski I can rail through the trails but jump off into the powder any time I want and it keeps the heavy front end up . I have run the Stock skis with Triple points , Stock ski with Aggressive Snowtrackers , Kimpex Arrow skis ( my second Favorite but not wide enough), C& A razors with Semi Aggressive Snowtrackers ( to heavy of steering ) I would like to try the SLT Mohawks but can't justify the money for a 2009 sled .

I have an old St of Simmons 12" mountain skis I was going to try just for fun they worked well on my turbo rx-1ton back in the day

I use the new Yamaha mountain ski on my XTX that come on the BTX and MTX. I fine the great and there a lot cheaper than a lot of other brands .

I used curve’s, they float in the fluff, and when matched with snow trackers, the preform on the trail. Ran a good bit of mileage on that setup and was very happy.

Ran the C&A crossover skis before the above setup and honestly didn’t like the trail manners of the C&A’S. I guess it’s just personal preference.

Given the amount of "iron" underneath the ski with Snowtrackers, you would think that they would create more steering effort than the stock ski, but my experience has been that they actually lessen steering effort. How is the steering effort with Curves and Snowtrackers?

Back