• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Will a 1.6 Ice Cobra fit on a 2011 Apex 128?

burlyviper

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder LTX LE, blue
2011 Apex 128, Ulmer Airbox and clutch kit, PCV, HID
1980 Exciter 300
I did a few searches and can't find anyone running a 1.6 track on a 2011+ Apex 128. Has anyone tried one? What modifications if any need to be done to make it work?
I figure the XTX can have a 1.75BC track, but the suspension geometry is different on the XTX as well. I have a 2011 with only 6k miles and want a bigger lug for the 50/50 riding I do in the UP. Thanks.

I wouldent use a corbra read were Yamaha tested them on a nitro lost 8to10 mph on top also they don't last as long due too lugs being softer mybud put one on and in 3000 miles lugs were coming off also he lost top end he installed a ripsaw back on speed back

I understand I'll loose 10 mph. This is a second sled that my wife or daughter will ride about 500 miles a year. I want the extra lug for traction.

1.6 would be max with stock drivers. To run back country 1.75 you will have to remove the tunnel protectors.

When I installed the 1.6" I took out the tunnel protectors and heat exchanger protector up front. Yes, this is an XTX, but the drivers up front should be the same.

As far as durability, the conditions will effect that more than the quality of the track. I have over 2500 miles on mine, and the track itself is in great shape. I have noted that a few of the stud tips have been folded over or worn off. That is to be expected in low snow conditions. But the track is great.

As far as top end, I am of the "WHO THE HELL CARES" camp. As this sled 0-80 is way fast than it was with the stock ripsaw. The hook up is way better than stock and the lack of track spin is noticeable on take off. Not to mention the safety of the small studs. Nope, it's not a studded track, but it sure is better than stock. I would consider it a swiss army knife track for those that "dabble" off trail.

It performed really well in Wyoming last winter in deep snow. "Deep" is a relative term for us MN flatlanders. It was deeper than MN.

I will be sure to report back over the next 2500 miles to tell you when the track gives out. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

PS: I also ran the 1.325" Cobra on my first Apex and had great durability. So durability reports truly do rely on the quality of snow and how they are ridden as much as the quality of the track.

Thanks for the reply. I ride in Eastern UP in typically good conditions. I love this track on my SW 137. The hook up is so much better corner to corner which is what I am looking for. This will be a second sled but I figure the track will add a fun factor and last as long as I keep this sled. It only has 6k miles on it so far. So, its almost broke in.

Fact is if you are off trail they will have better traction but on a hard groomed trail they won't lugs bend to easy I put a ripsaw 1.5 oncut it down abit and it works perfect for me on trail hooks up better than a corbra but its what you plan to do that matters

I may end up with a 1.5 and cut down a little bit. As I keep digging into this, I think the 128 skid is a little taller than the xtx skid. So, a 1.6 may not be in my future. Still researching. Thanks.

Back