• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

winch or wench, whinch one is more better?????

Mick Max

SledderSteve is doing some product testing and has been supplied with a winch and a wench. He will exhaustively test each one over the next 90 days and give a full report on which one is better, as well as provide us with a full engineering evaluation.

Thanks Steve, tough work we admire your dedication :Rockon:

Members let us know how well you like the idea of product evaluations.

Winch?

95xp.gif

or wench?

MP1966.jpg

Thank you Tork,

I'm up for the challenge and intend to explore the nuances and idiosyncrasies of each in depth.

Like our friend clutch, I'm quite tempted, at the urging of my wife, to jump right to what could be the end result of this evaluation but I will restrain myself in the interest of a proper evaluation for this forum.

Watch this space as the evaluation unfolds.... :-o

I wish someone would throw something like that my way to "test" out. :jump:

Id bet the wench would work better at protecting your quad from rocks and trees. Gotta love airbag protection!

clutch said:
If the wench works out send her my way. My quad and my truck could both use a good washing.

I have to spend a few weeks with her to make sure she doesn't support terrorism, then I'll send her your way.

First Impressions:

The packaging of the winch was rather utilitarian. A nice box, everything in it's place including instructions and a list of accessories.

The wench also had a nice box and I thought the packaging was quite eye catching but my wife thought otherwise. There was no apparent instruction manual or accessory list. I shortly found out that the instructions were self contained in that I merely had to be near the wench to start receiving instructions. The wench was also quite straightforward in describing desired accessories that I'm assuming will enhance overall wench performance but quite honestly never would have thought about had I not been informed.

Next Step: Preparing to mount...

Watch this space for details. :-o

Spellbinding initial report Stever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recap so far

Winch
Strong points
* Great owners manual
* Rugged design, should last many years
* Stable simple operation
weak points
* Boring packaging

Wench
Strong poings
* Packaging is a wonder in itself, even smells good
* Multi use product that can captivate and keep a guy hunched over the workbench in the garage for hours
Weak Points
* Wench could retain excess water, bloat up and break in a short time
* After initial uses wench becomes complicated and difficult to use
* Packaging , though a work of art in itself, may have excess non biodegradeable padding.
* Wench is unstable and expensive to maintain

I also noticed the wench comes with a rack , does this replace my grizzly rack? ;)! and what is the payload of the rack?

We're getting ahead of ourselves here Grizz 5. I'm still trying to figure out how to properly mount the wench.
:dunno:

The self contained instructions indicate a certain amount of preparation as well as the possible purchase of additional accessories to more fully appreciate the mounting experience.
:bling
The dinner and a movie thing really has me stumped as to how it relates to my bike though....

Oh well, I signed on for the experience, might as well enjoy the ride. LaLaLa

I just want to know how you mount the rack or if you can mount the rack, if it works good and is satisfing to the rider. :jump:

The wench seems to have a more than adequate rack. Is it supported or is it a stand alone accessory? Also can you ride safely behind the rack and have a good hand hold?

Back