• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Winder: Mountain vs sea level

paulsee

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX - SE
Could someone give me a snippet of info about elevation impacts. On a whim I want to drive from Minnesota to Colorado to sled with a buddy out there. His 2nd mountain sled is down so I would like to take my winder 137 out there. Snow is setup with the warmth so trails and non deep areas I would hope I would be okay.

I've never done elevation before, does a sea level winder need any adjustments or can you just take it up and ride? I'm a noobie on what elevation impacts there are to a sea level SW. Thanks in advance!

Found this thread and many others from snowest. Sounds like I should be fine. Clutch weights could be a small factor but nothing major for a few days. Biggest hinderance will obviously be my small paddles.
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/low-elevation-sled-in-high-elevation-area.154081/

Gonna look to see if ok to add just a little octane to boost to say 92 or 93 for 10,000ft.
If you have stock sled you do not need any octane booster,just take it and ride.If like you said you are staying on trails and non deep areas you should be fine with low lug track.The only problem is the higher engagement of your clutch will cause you spin and dig a hole and get stuck easier in the deeper stuff .

took my sidewinder btx with evo stage 3 tune out to the snowy range in Wyoming twice this year never touched the clutch. we were staying at 8200feet and road all the way to 12,000 feet and no issues other than lack of top end. probably heading out again in April still not gong to modify anything jut hop on and go

At elevation 8k plus if you have a boost gauge you will see close to 15 psi virus 10 @SL, and Do ino came up with maintaining HP at elevation LOL, enjoy .

If you really wanted it to be spot on you would increase the secondary spring (like a Yamaha White set at 6-1) and possibly lighten the tip weight up a little. The reality of it is these 4-strokes have a great wide torque filled power band, so if you're down several hundred rpm it will be very forgiving to it yet.

Back