• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Winder won't start after oil change

Sidewinder77

Country
USA
Snowmobile
17 Sidewinder
Put in a new track and did an oil change on my Winder and now I can't get it to start up. It fired a couple times when I first tried and now it just turns over and acts like it's not getting any gas. Any ideas or suggestion?
Thanks, Mark

Put in a new track and did an oil change on my Winder and now I can't get it to start up. It fired a couple times when I first tried and now it just turns over and acts like it's not getting any gas. Any ideas or suggestion?
Thanks, Mark
Can you hear the fuel pump? Maybe popped a fuse?

Yea I can hear the pump running and even put some more gas in to be sure. I'm gonna check the fuses anyway to be sure! Thanks

Got it, unhooked the roll over valve and it started right up! Thanks Kuzzy for the suggestion and the quick reply!

Got it, unhooked the roll over valve and it started right up! Thanks Kuzzy for the suggestion and the quick reply!
I know how it feels to be frustrated, glad it worked out.

I'm guessing that the roll over valve is shorting out somehow. Maybe you punched a wire or pulled something a bit too hard. If you isolated the problem as the rollover valve, check the plugs and wires for problems

I know how it feels to be frustrated, glad it worked out.

I'm guessing that the roll over valve is shorting out somehow. Maybe you punched a wire or pulled something a bit too hard. If you isolated the problem as the rollover valve, check the plugs and wires for problems
I did not realize that there is any electrical associated with the roll over valve. I thought it was 100% mechanical?
I had to replace mine way back in 2018 because I snapped it’s mounting tab, and I don’t remember any electrical on the valve itself?

I did not realize that there is any electrical associated with the roll over valve. I thought it was 100% mechanical?
I had to replace mine way back in 2018 because I snapped it’s mounting tab, and I don’t remember any electrical on the valve itself?
Mine is heated, but now that you mention it the heated rov is way by the steering column I think. Maybe it was not the rov that he unplugged?

Mine is heated, but now that you mention it the heated rov is way by the steering column I think. Maybe it was not the rov that he unplugged?
Oh OK! My older model is not heated but, it would make sense that the rov has the ability to kill the engine during a roll over, but I think it only stops the oil from spilling! I learn stuff on here often, and at times a light bulb lights up! Ha Ha!

Oh OK! My older model is not heated but, it would make sense that the rov has the ability to kill the engine during a roll over, but I think it only stops the oil from spilling! I learn stuff on here often, and at times a light bulb lights up! Ha Ha!
I am not 100% sure, but I am venturing a wild guess here that whatever he unplugged was shorting out the fuse that allowed the engine to run. Maybe the rov is on the same circuit? I'm too lazy to go look at my sled right now lol. If he posts a picture of what he unplugged, it could help narrow it down. There are the accessory wires in that area, but I can't remember if it stops the engine from starting......I Remeber doing something really silly by plugging the one end hanging there into the harness and it blew fuses because it just shorted right there.

I am not 100% sure, but I am venturing a wild guess here that whatever he unplugged was shorting out the fuse that allowed the engine to run. Maybe the rov is on the same circuit? I'm too lazy to go look at my sled right now lol. If he posts a picture of what he unplugged, it could help narrow it down. There are the accessory wires in that area, but I can't remember if it stops the engine from starting......I Remeber doing something really silly by plugging the one end hanging there into the harness and it blew fuses because it just shorted right there.
Makes sense, heated ROV! My older model does not have that, but I remember having my heated visor plug shorting out and burning a 20amp fuse during a gas stop!

So shorting stuff out does happen, and I changed my heated shield plug to a female end that hangs!! That light bulb thing again.. Ha Ha!!

Doesn't sound like he changed a fuse, just disconnected the ROV.
Does the ROV now come with a Cut Off switch?
I thought it was just heated.
Did he plug it back in?

Hope he posts back so we can more efficiently help the next poor bastard & sound like real knowledgeable people.

There is nothing on the stock ROV that kills the engine or would keep it from firing up. Its just a heated ROV unless using the an aftermarket type ROV that has that special feature, and I do believe there is one out there that does this.

There is nothing on the stock ROV that kills the engine or would keep it from firing up. Its just a heated ROV unless using the an aftermarket type ROV that has that special feature, and I do believe there is one out there that does this.

That's what i thought.
There IS an aftermarket unit out there that kills the motor.
SOOOOOOOO where'd 77 go?
He left us hangin'

Sometimes we just GOTSTA know

Doesn't sound like he changed a fuse, just disconnected the ROV.
Does the ROV now come with a Cut Off switch?
I thought it was just heated.
Did he plug it back in?

Hope he posts back so we can more efficiently help the next poor bastard & sound like real knowledgeable people.
That's what i thought.
There IS an aftermarket unit out there that kills the motor.
SOOOOOOOO where'd 77 go?
He left us hangin'

Sometimes we just GOTSTA know
This is why I first asked the question and did not remember the heated ROV addition to the newer models.
If you short an electrical circuit and cause an arc, something had to be done to correct the short and return the power, thus replace a burnt fuse or reset a breaker, etc! This unplugging the ROV and Having it then start baffled me, especially when he stated it had fired once or twice, and thought fuel may be the problem.

Something did not add up and still doesn’t. So he unplugged the ROV and got good spark or fuel I am guessing, without knowing all.

I did not know why any electrical would be touched during an oil change, but now realizing ROV wires may be in the way on newer models.

Possible the heated rollover valve shorted out internally and popped a fuse.
That would be my guess from the above information without looking at a wiring schematic.

Back