• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Wiring heated grips for Seat Jack

seabeeman

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
08 Apex LTX GT 40th
I'd like to add heated grips to my Seat Jack's handles. I'm looking at something like these:

http://www.bigbikeparts.com/templates/product.aspx?ProductGuid=17-960&GroupGuid=16

These are the handles on it, so they should work fine:

https://www.countrycorners.net/jack...s-for-seat-jack-detail.htm?productid=17827717

I'm a little leery to tap into the front handlebar hand warmer wires since it's digital and run through the gauge cluster. These things come with a switch and will shut themselves off if the battery gets below 12.5 volts. Is there a good source of constant power anywhere in the back of the sled, or would I be better off just running up to the front warmer connection and splicing in there?

Many of my acc. run the battery. I use a 4 blade relay the supplies 12v from the battery to the acc. The relay is switched from an ign source. This way my acc. won't kill the battery when I shut down the sled.
Tapping into the front grips would cause the resistance value to change and all sorts of other irreversible grief.

What about the tail light?

What's the draw on the heated grips?

I can't find these specifically buy nearly every pair of heated grips I can find specs on is 45-60 watts total.

You will burn out the tail light circuit if you use that for the supply power. Take the time to run wiring from the front to the back. Fused and relayed is the best way.

That's what I was worried about.

Thank you for the clarification.

Now that I'm looking closer at options, most of them wire straight back to the battery and have some sort of inline controller. Should be a pretty straight-forward install.

Back