• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Won't crank. Fuel pump runs

hereismylife

VIP Member
In middle of service. Found out it fuel pump runs as normal when turn key but nothing else. Does not crank.
Parts swapped from good running sled.

Starter relay
Battery
40 amp fuse
Ground at block was cleaned and checked

Nothing changes.

Had no problems before the service.

Original starter? Since you swapped the starter relay, was it from another Apex and not a Vector as they did used different relays but appear to be the same. If relay was from Apex, then attempting to by-pass original relay would probably produce the same results.

Additionally, there are more than one ground block. On my 08 Apex, I found a total of 6 square ground blocks and two flat ground blocks.

Original starter? Since you swapped the starter relay, was it from another Apex and not a Vector as they did used different relays but appear to be the same. If relay was from Apex, then attempting to by-pass original relay would probably produce the same results.
Starter will spin if you run power to it. Parts are off same sled. I have 3 same sleds

Did not realize you could jump relay and get starter to spin as you had mentioned it would not crank. As for the ground blocks, I was chasing a different electrical gremlin with my HIDs but when my starter went out, it would do as you had originally stated; that you could hear the fuel pumps prime but when you turned the key, it would not crank. Before it went completely out, I could actually take a long screwdriver and tap the starter a couple of times to get it to start. Not ideal on those long mileage trips and ended up getting a replacement starter from Travis at Barn of Parts.

Did not realize you could jump relay and get starter to spin as you had mentioned it would not crank. As for the ground blocks, I was chasing a different electrical gremlin with my HIDs but when my starter went out, it would do as you had originally stated; that you could hear the fuel pumps prime but when you turned the key, it would not crank. Before it went completely out, I could actually take a long screwdriver and tap the starter a couple of times to get it to start. Not ideal on those long mileage trips and ended up getting a replacement starter from Travis at Barn of Parts.
Yea you jump the 2 top red posts at relay. It will engage that way. I understand what you are staying about the grounds.

That's what is confusing, typically if you can engage starter/crank over engine by jumping the starter relay, then the relay is bad but then you also mentioned you swapped the relay and it still would not crank.

That's what is confusing, typically if you can engage starter/crank over engine by jumping the starter relay, then the relay is bad but then you also mentioned you swapped the relay and it still would not crank.
Trust me I am confused to.

Knowing the relay is good, have you checked the ignition switch or kill switch to see if either of them might be at fault?

Knowing the relay is good, have you checked the ignition switch or kill switch to see if either of them might be at fault?
Tried the ignition on other sled. It started cranking. If you pull the kill switch up the fuel pump comes on so that means it should work if I correct.

Ignition switch fuse?
IgnSwitch.JPG

I would also check the back side of your ignition switch connector to ensure all the pins are making contact as it has to be something on that sled.

I would also check the back side of your ignition switch connector to ensure all the pins are making contact as it has to be something on that sled.
I will check again tonight after work.

Yea tell me about it. It moved 10ft to put it on a lift for service and now it won't crank. Smh

Back