• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Won't start after storage

zappa

My '03 RX1 Mountain won't start after sitting up over the summer. It's firing, but not getting any fuel to the cylinders.

It's getting fuel to the fuel pump (... are those 2 stacked fuel pumps on the left side of the engine?) but none coming out of them when I turn the engine over. As I recall, the last time I rode it in April I thought it was running out of gas when I parked it.

Any ideas on how to check for the problem?
Thanks

usually i prime a motor thats been sitting for a long time with some gas in the carbs or spark plug holes...
after re-jetting, i started my sled with a propane torch in front of one of the carbs (not a lit torch though!)...it will fire enough on the propane to prime itself and start running...do this at your own risk though!!...don't want to cause a small explosion...i just didn't have any gas around to use at the time...carb cleaner can work too

Safest way is like LB said: blow in the vent line to pressurze the gas tank. If it's low on fuel, it'll take a fair volume of air to pressurize it . Hold the pressure in with your thumb, and watch to see the fuel travelling thru the lines. Do it again. When you think the carbs are full, crank it with full choke. It still may take quite a bit of cranking. Be glad you've got key start; with my old 2-stroke Yammies, I'd sometimes pull my arm off with the 1st after- storage start.

Thanks for the tips. I finally got it going. I filled the lines to the carbeurators with gas, put a little in each carb and pressurized the the tank and it fired up.

Now all I need is some snow. But it's cold enough now that the lakes are starting to freeze.

I still don't get this. If my sled sits for 3 weeks or more I go through this. Are these fuel pumps too weak? My dealer doesn't have an answer to this problem so he coming to pick the sled up as it hasn't run for a while and is sure to cause grief and play with it.
I'll see what he comes back with.
I think the answer is an electric fuel pump.

Maybe it needs a new fuel pump ,I would just start it more often . My buddy starts his every three weeks all summer and has never had a problem .

Back