• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Woody's Slim Jim bad fuel millages

shockwave

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
09 Phazer RTX
I just got back from a weekend trip with some of my friends.

When on that trip I discover that I have the worst fuel millages. Of all the sled that were with me. Ex. MXZ 850, Renagade 900 ace, Venture, Sidewinder with engin mods, Renagade 1200. Of all those sled, I was getting the worst fuel millage at the pump. My light was always on the first.

To compare I put in 30$ in a fill up and my friend put in 26$ in his MXZ 850.

Looks like my problem is coming from my Slim Jim runner. I am feeling a lots of resistance or drag in the front. My skid is always spinning, drifting. When of the gas, the back end will slide one the side. My sled is struggling at speed over 70km. I can fell it. It like I am plowing the snow in front of me and the skid can't get traction.

Are the Slim Jim too much runners for this sled?

Have you checked your ski alignment? How's your belt? Track tension? Try throwing on a set of cheap carbides and see if it makes a difference. I have a set of those Snow Studs Double Downs and have no issues so you could give those a try.

Check that the engine is running right. My MP was having an intermittent miss with a code 33 at idle. It burned gas like a drunk whore.

Have you checked your ski alignment? How's your belt? Track tension? Try throwing on a set of cheap carbides and see if it makes a difference. I have a set of those Snow Studs Double Downs and have no issues so you could give those a try.

Check that the engine is running right. My MP was having an intermittent miss with a code 33 at idle. It burned gas like a drunk whore.

Ski alignment was check by Star Suspension this season. That should be good. I was told that the belt was change from the guy that I bought it. But I have to check that. Every time that I take off, there is like a sleeping noise that come at the engagement point. My friend that tried it said there seems to be some clutch care that might be required. I have no spare runners for test but the drag in front is very evident when I ride it.

Check your skids front arm. Sounds like a broken one to me.

As for sounds, perhaps secondary needs a good look at.

Front skid arm looks intact. The front spring is almost fully compress. From what I understand, that should take the pressure off the skis.

I have 60lbs of air pressure in the float.

Any other opinion?

Where do the break occurs us usaly?
I’ve had them crack at almost every joint. And brake usually close to the welds.

Sorry missed this. Been couple of long days.
Strap tight (pulled up) in skid puts more pressure on skis. If you let it down it will do opposite.

As for fox shocks I tried two kinds. Sold them. Just couldn’t figure the darn things out lol. Pressures, valved, pile of ride height adjustments. Needed better rebound adjustments so stayed with my old 07 FX GYTR to date.

Last edited:
Front skid arm looks intact. The front spring is almost fully compress. From what I understand, that should take the pressure off the skis.

I have 60lbs of air pressure in the float.

Any other opinion?
Fully compressed front skid spring is definitely and issue.
Set your strap.
Loosen spring until it moves freely.
Then hand tighten enough to just take the play out of the spring.
I think you’ll notice huge difference.

Also, reading back. That squeal you get on take off not such a bad thing. It probably means you need to only wrap your secondary spring 10* OR possible primary. But I think it’s your secondary wrap.

Slight belt slippage. Now, if you can’t get good speed out of it it’s very well possible there’s more to it. I don’t think carbides, even with miss alignment would cause a such drastic drop in power and fuel economy.

Adjust above items and test.
If still bad, just pull carbides and go for small test ride in good snow. Just to eliminate The carbides being the main problem.

Replace with Snowtrackers and don't look back. I tried Slim Jims 2 seasons ago and you can definitely feel the drag. Same with Doolys.

Replace with Snowtrackers and don't look back. I tried Slim Jims 2 seasons ago and you can definitely feel the drag. Same with Doolys.

The Sled came with Snowtrackers but they were shot. So I replace them with the Slim Jim thinking that that they would have less of an effect on the overall performance.

To me, Snowtracker look visually way more aggressive then the Slim Jim. They don’t drag has much?

Fully compressed front skid spring is definitely and issue.
Set your strap.
Loosen spring until it moves freely.
Then hand tighten enough to just take the play out of the spring.
I think you’ll notice huge difference.

Thanks for your advice, I will play with it this weekend. My front strap is fully extended.

My season is almost over, our trail are getting bad over here. :(

Thanks for your advice, I will play with it this weekend. My front strap is fully extended.

My season is almost over, our trail are getting bad over here. :(

come to central-northern ontario...getting shat on with snow :p:p my problem is free time. Literally took the sleds around the block tonight just to get them moving.

Maybe your thumbs just in it more to keep up with the bigger sleds your riding with. When we ride the smaller machines always take the most at the pump keeping up will th he bigger iron.

Back