• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Work horse machine, which one?

At minus 30 the vk 540 will need some persuading with both the e start and pull cord at the same time, seen numerous times where that was the only way it would turn over, where as my 06 pro would start no problem , but it depends on the sled and condition of the battery, but when comes to the towing capacity the 540 doesn't even come close ! with that said the new vk is no slouch, it idles better, improved fuel economy and better in deep snow . haven't had much experience with the vk pro 2 , but have lots with the carb version and never had any issues starting in cold weather (the coldest being minus 30) but they were well tuned ie: sync and cleaned carbs and everything adjusted to spec! good luck with the decision! cheers!
Thank you everyone for the help. I am going with the 540, i really like the simplicity of the machine and i feel more confident in the two stroke. Ill have to remember to update this thread when it comes in and see how well it does starting above the arctic circle. Another reason i went yamaha instead of say a skandic is because of this forum. You all have helped me a ton over the years with my viper.

Back