• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XS vs JP SuperBelt Sunday..............and Grapes

stevewithOCD

Yamaha, Make me Come Back
Country
USA
Snowmobile
900 R
2006 Apex RTX
OK, here it is. XS vs 8JP OCD style.
This was supposed to be for the Stock to Mildly Tuned guys.
I figured if we could make just some small changes for a cleaner longer lasting belt under warranty, we'd have a winner for us regular Joe's that don't want to spend $2500 on clutches or have boxes of clutch parts to try out.
I actually envision Dr. KNAPP's house like a scene from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, except instead of chainsaws & ice picks hanging from the ceiling there is Helix's, springs, weights & whole clutches just dangling off of every wall & a wife just screaming "Mike clean this mess up or i'll throw these old damn trophy's out!"
Just my interpretation of Mike's house.

OK, let's move on to the test. I get distracted easily.
I had an EPIC data test planned that would go into the TY JEDI archives! A test the Minstrels would write songs about.
I was going to record RPM's new & broken in, GPS speeds, Temp Gun & some runs against a "Mule" sled then just OCD feelings from my tiny but tight Hiney. Then this week i'd have a week off to put 2000 miles on that belt. Even a 550 mile day planned!
It would be edgy enough to have Tom the Blade & The Canon ready to press the DELETE button but humorous enough they'd let it slide with multiple witty Stevisms to keep the uninterested..........interested.

The plan was to put the clutches back to stock except Dalton weights ground down to 69 grams, rear Dalton YBO spring & HiTorque rollers. I even put on a new belly pan so we could see the belt dust or lack of.

I was supposed to go up Friday, break in belt, adjust and test on Saturday. Then re-adjust for 8JP & repeat process.
Well, Sleet & Heavy snow changed my plans for the 3rd week in a row, but Saturday evening the numbers started to look good. I GOTS SOME DATA!

Until my my chain case decided to be a comedian & said " Hey SteveO, want to hear my impression of FROZEN GRAPES in a blender?"!!!!!!!!!

TEST OVER!!!!!!!!!

I let my TY brethren down. I do have some good news & data, but not quite conclusive enough to tell people to buy an XS belt being Stock to Mildly tuned.
Don't forget i had my belts doing very good last year.
I've been sulking for a week now & was ready to dump this sled until i rode an 850 all day Sunday.
An amazing, FUN machine with an absolute HORRIBLE front end. I heard there is a new front end next year.

TO BE CONTINUED..........

Last edited:

Pics & data report coming, but i have to get a Hot Wet Towel to clean the dried up tears stuck to my eyelids first.
I also lost my sense of humor. Temporarily!
BUT, i'm going riding this weekend!!!!!!
I'll rent some cross country skis if i have to. Hey at least i can't break those.............i think.
Friends offered me all kinds of sleds & i'm renting a POO for half a day.

Could the OCD kid be on Team Yellow or Red next year?
Could i go back to adding oil every morning?

TO BE CONTINUED...........

Last edited:
He probably doesn’t know? To many beers

Going to dealer on Thursday.
Plenty of left over sleds there.

TO BE CONTINUED................

Well then, as we are left to ponder what may have happened, I am trying to equate the info from a previous post of finding your chain may have been found loose, and thus did some internal chaincase damage?

Am I Hot, warm or cool.

Either way, sorry to hear about more damage to your sled. With this sport having such a narrow window, breakdowns are challenging when one is eager to ride.

There is no silver lining to this dark cloud, but imagine all the repairs that would be needed if we were able to ride year long!

Hope you enjoy your next purchase Steve.

IMG_5073.jpg
Yes Dana, that's why we didn't hook up that weekend.
Thanks for the help offer which is awesome since we've never met. That's why i'll stay a TY member no matter what the future holds.

I will address the chain issue first, but would like to get to the belt testing next.
After the "Frozen Grapes in a Blender" incident i pulled out my saw and cut some trees to put under track for the drag home so i wouldn't ruin the chain case more. My old 23,000 mile Apex towed me home the 10 miles.
I was hoping it was just real loose, but it took a whole week get to look at it.
IT's A MESS in there!
The reverse actuator thinga-ma-bob was rotated 90° CCW. When i cracked open the case the top bearing is completely shot & the reverse chain's links were welded together. I put it back together & set up for Warranty work.
I believe it popped out of gear. Either that or the top bearing, not the gear with bushing, disintegrated.
I've NEVER had a bearing in a chain case go bad in my LIFE!

P.S:
Do you kids see the TY decal on the windshield?

Oh well, Life goes on.

Now for the XS belt testing..........

Last edited:
XS Belt Testing:

My sled is mildly tuned with TD Ecotrail. Maybe 220 to 230 HP on a good day.
I have a stock primary with Dalton QAY 70's cut down to 69. That's as low as i wanted to butcher my $250 weights down since my 66's would not be in until day i left. Stock cover, spring & rollers.
Secondary has a Dalton 35 helix, same as stock, with HiTorque rollers & a Dalton YBO spring. That's about it.

The 8JP would pull 9000 RPM's with about 70.5 grams & liked 90° wrap although 80° is whi last left it.
For the XS i left the weights empty at 69 grams & rear spring at 80°.

I washed the belt & broke it in for 20 miles EXTREMELY careful. Luckily it was sleeting out or this would have been extremely painful for me.
I'm talking like putting a fork into your eye, SLOWLY! Top RPM's were about 8750.
The next 60 miles or so it was snowing hard so i was able to break in the belt for about a 80 miles total.
Top RPM's were about 8850 after that.
This belt needs to be broken in for at least 50 miles then another 50 before top RPM's are
achieved. That's kinda a PITA, but 100 RPM's doesn't hurt much on this sled anyways.

Next day i started testing.
Big straightaways & then some fast twisty's on & off throttle.
Belt was about 140° compared to a stock Winders' 160° & a Doo 850's 180°.

Primary was about 130° with secondary a "balmy" 110°.
The stock Winder was 170ish & the Doo was over 200.

Pretty good numbers with NO belt dust.
I was impressed enough that my next trip i was going to put 67 to 68 grams up front to get back to 9000 RPM's then run it all week 1000 to 1800 miles for over 2000 mile belt dust test.

I was hoping the next day i would put a 1.5 grams back in & run the same "Mule" with temp & RPM's recorded.
Then KABLAM! KABLOOIE! KABOOM! test over

For STOCK guys that want to use this belt. You will have to pull 2 to 3 grams from weights. Loosen the rear spring 10° and i think you'll be in the pocket.
Unfortunately i didn't get to go Back to Back with 8JP nor was able to see top speeds. Ya know, snow in the eyes & night vision is NOT a time to mess around with top speed.

P.S: A "Mule" is a test sled with same rider to drag race from stop & roll-ons to see if any
changes made were noticeably good or bad
P.S2: I now HATE Frozen Grapes!!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks.. your testing on the XS is very much appreciated..

Clutching and me are far apart, what do you mean by “Loosen the rear spring 10°” ?

The Helix has numbers on it & so does the clutch itself where the secondary spring fits into.
Using the holes 3 & 3=60 °
Using 2 on clutch & 6 on Helix makes 80° etc...etc...
I'm saying whatever works on your 8JP, use 10° less with the XS

I think the most disappointing thing about all this is not having the concrete data for guys to run the XS with exact settings knowing i was helping get some people clean cool belts that last.

I feel i let the boys down!
I was soooo excited for my report good or bad.
I feel like when your woman leaves a bag from Victoria's Secret on the table all day then tells you she has a headache.
Then to make matters worse, you realize she used YOUR credit card.
Then to throw salt on the wound, the dog chews the bag & all the contents up!

No sex
Broke
And Pink thread on the lawn for 2 days

Frozen Grapes are still worse

Thanks.. your testing on the XS is very much appreciated..

Clutching and me are far apart, what do you mean by “Loosen the rear spring 10°” ?
Secondary clutch has holes in the helix and inner sheave that are numbered for the spring tangs, controls torsional twist.

Back