• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX 1.6 to 2.25 track

juniorXTX

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Viper XTX SE
I am aware that there are threads here saying that this track works without issue on the xtx, that's not what this thread is about..

For those of you who have added the larger lug track.. and I would imagine wider skis. . Does anyone have any insight as to how they compare to one another?

I found myself being the black sheep in the backcountry and noticed the skis loved to sink and the track loved to trench.. I am hoping someone out there has done the upgrade after some seat time on a stock xtx and can give me a good comparison and if these upgrades made a substantial difference.

Thanks all.

Mind is doing the same thing with a 2.25'' track and stock skis. I just ordered a set of 8'' powder hounds. Hopefully this will solve the issue.

I am aware that there are threads here saying that this track works without issue on the xtx, that's not what this thread is about..

For those of you who have added the larger lug track.. and I would imagine wider skis. . Does anyone have any insight as to how they compare to one another?

I found myself being the black sheep in the backcountry and noticed the skis loved to sink and the track loved to trench.. I am hoping someone out there has done the upgrade after some seat time on a stock xtx and can give me a good comparison and if these upgrades made a substantial difference.

Thanks all.

PM NOS-PRO.......he did that change earlier this season.......although he did use Cat 153" rails but for sure it was a 2.25" Powderclaw track......he'll tell you whatever he can about it........he's back to 141 track now.......

I run slydog powder hounds 7" and they rock. The back I also have no issues with just not sure what the settings are since I did it 2 yes ago and left it. My combo works great on and off trails.

Subaru2006

I have 8inch slydogs and 2.25 on the xtx le. Works very well off trail. We also have xtx se with 1.6 track and 8inch skydogs it very capable just needs a bit more momentum in the deep. If the skis are sinking in the snow you're going to trench so a wider ski helps this alot. The wider ski will also give you alot more control on a steep side hill also . wide skies are the key off trail. I think both tracks are great.

Last edited:

Thanks all.

Been there done that...twice.

Wider skis, and MOST important put a 160 pound spring in the front skid shock. The combination will stop the nose dive on decelleration. Turns Viper from heavy steering sled into a pure joy to ride. The trenching comes from WAY to much weight on the skis and back of the track. The change is day and night from stock.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/interesting-skid-shock-spring-info.131147/#post-1177413

PM NOS-PRO.......he did that change earlier this season.......although he did use Cat 153" rails but for sure it was a 2.25" Powderclaw track......he'll tell you whatever he can about it........he's back to 141 track now.......

Yes, need different skis (wider than stock) to keep floatation. Used the C&A Pro skis, worked very well, but now have powder hounds (haven't tried yet but know they will work better than stock)

I have a pair of the massive simmons mountain skis. I was going to try them this year but never got enough snow. Thought it would look funny trail riding with 12" wide skis. I had them on an old 03 RX-1 ton Turbo and they worked great.

Thanks folks. I think that this track and ski upgrade will be in the cards for me the fall. I have done a lot of reading about it and people seem very pleased with that track.

i couldnt imagine what hyfax wear will be like. i smelt mine cooking many times and even had to replace at 2k miles.
as far as off trail, skis def help, but letting the limiter strap out helps more.
i run simmons on all my sleds, so the front end stays up top.
found the viper to do pretty good off trail, never really burried it this year.
edit: 1.6 cobra track

Back