• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Xtx track replacement

Shamus200

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 summit 850 146
I need to replace the track on my wife’s viper xtx 141. It has a cobra track on it now and I really don’t like it. What are people running on there xtxs I notice there’s not many options on the 141s.

1.75" back country or 2.25" power claw is a good option, depends on the kind of riding you looking to do

We ride trail and off trail depending on what the snow alows I ride a 146 summit 850 I enjoy off trail as much as possible my wife is just getting into the off trail riding

I ride 85% on trail, and I am very happy with the performance of the stock XTX track. It is great on both hard-pack and loose snow. (Nothing is great on glare ice unless you stud it.) I am too old and out of shape for real back country riding, but I ride most of the time with my teenage grandson on his XTX and he goes off trail every chance he gets. We found an open meadow with 2-3 feet of fresh powder last year, and the XTX's just ate it up. I was sure I was going to get buried, but the XTX was awesome. My grandson's sled has @ 9,000 miles on it, and it could use a new track. Because he loves off-trail riding so much, he wants a 1.75", so I will also be curious about what people recommend for alternative tracks.

On a side note, at what point would you have to change stock gearing, and what would that add to the cost of putting on a different track? Will we have to re-gear if we go with a 1.75?

I've got several friends who ride sleds with the Cobra track with mixed reviews - some of them love it and some of them hate it... It seems like a pretty soft lug track to me, which could be a positive or negative depending on your thought process.

I'm on a Nytro so a bit different application but I've been super happy with my 1.75" Back Country track. I put on quite a few trail miles and have no issues, though I take a few precautions. Dupont slides, run scratchers on hardpack riding, and I dip into snow every now and then when I can. For me, I'll take any drawbacks of a tall lug for on trail riding knowing what I get for traction and ability to move snow off trail.

I ride 85% on trail, and I am very happy with the performance of the stock XTX track. It is great on both hard-pack and loose snow. (Nothing is great on glare ice unless you stud it.) I am too old and out of shape for real back country riding, but I ride most of the time with my teenage grandson on his XTX and he goes off trail every chance he gets. We found an open meadow with 2-3 feet of fresh powder last year, and the XTX's just ate it up. I was sure I was going to get buried, but the XTX was awesome. My grandson's sled has @ 9,000 miles on it, and it could use a new track. Because he loves off-trail riding so much, he wants a 1.75", so I will also be curious about what people recommend for alternative tracks.

On a side note, at what point would you have to change stock gearing, and what would that add to the cost of putting on a different track? Will we have to re-gear if we go with a 1.75?
The 1.6" cobra is an excellent on trail track with good off trail capabilities, especially in the 141" uncoupled skid.
As for gearing, the xtx's 21 41 gear's are a perfect match for the 1.75" bc, now if you were going to a 2.25" or bigger lug than I would look into 24 50 and smaller 7 tooth driver's.

Hmmm
I have the 141 1.3 cobra and like it on all but ICE so considering studding- but my Viper is already to slow for my liking so to loose a couple more MPH top end is keeping me indecisive.
BUT I ride in MN where there is very rarely deep snow and almost 100% groomed trail. Maybe thats why I like it and you dont.

I really don’t care for the Cobra on my XTX, lugs fold over way too easy on trails during hard acceleration AND braking. Also seems to lose lugs off trail pretty easy. Backcountry 1.75 for me when it’s replacement time. Note the Factory Cobra has thinner lugs than the replacements that come from Camso, BUT the 141” isn’t available from them. There is also the 10t 2.52 driver swap + 144” option but that gears you up ~ 5%.

We ride trail and off trail depending on what the snow alows I ride a 146 summit 850 I enjoy off trail as much as possible my wife is just getting into the off trail riding
I am thinking about the 1.75 I had a 1.75 backcountry on my old mxz that she use to ride and it was a pretty good alround track.

The sled only has 5000 km on it and the track is done the lugs are just too soft and rip way too easy it definitely won’t be a cobra going back on it.

The sled only has 5000 km on it and the track is done the lugs are just too soft and rip way too easy it definitely won’t be a cobra going back on it.
My grandson's 2014 XTX has a few missing lugs, but at @ 9,000 miles, I don't think that is too bad. My 2016 has 3,500 miles on it, and the track is still perfect. Isn't yours a 2014? I wonder if they made improvements in the track's durability on later models?

My grandson's 2014 XTX has a few missing lugs, but at @ 9,000 miles, I don't think that is too bad. My 2016 has 3,500 miles on it, and the track is still perfect. Isn't yours a 2014? I wonder if they made improvements in the track's durability on later models?

A few at 9000 miles is great I wouldn’t complain about that at all mines got 5000 km which is 3100 miles and it’s got two or three missing lugs and then a lot of them are torn and will probably be gone shortly into the season. I am not sure if they changed the track after 2014 but I know of a few others that blew lugs with 137 cobras on renegades.

A few at 9000 miles is great I wouldn’t complain about that at all mines got 5000 km which is 3100 miles and it’s got two or three missing lugs and then a lot of them are torn and will probably be gone shortly into the season. I am not sure if they changed the track after 2014 but I know of a few others that blew lugs with 137 cobras on renegades.
If you're looking for stiff lugs than the 1.75" bc is the track you want, I had a 137" 1.6" ice cobra on mine since new, I had the dealer swap it as part of my negotiation when I snow checked my 15 viper, track has 5200 miles and doesn't look bad at all, one missing lug and a few torn and that just started to happen last season after I turboed the sled.

I just don't get the different opinions on the 1.6" cobra on the XTX? I have been running the same onw since 2013. With over 4000 miles on the 14 and then swapped it over to the 15 it has well over 5000 Turbo miles most of which are over 245 hp. There are no tears, o signs of wear nor any missing lugs. The sled cannot be stuck and walks through fresh powder like there is no tomorrow. At the drags it launches like no other track I have ridden and last year took 1st place in my class and 4th place "overall" at the Gogebic Radar Runs. out running dedicated drag sleds. Right now the 141" x 1.6" with 141 - 1.865" grand master studs is way faster than my 380 HP 14 with 1-1/4" hacksaw and 244 1.5" picks on snow.

Deep Snow

Fast Trail

Studs @.jpg

I just don't get the different opinions on the 1.6" cobra on the XTX? I have been running the same onw since 2013. With over 4000 miles on the 14 and then swapped it over to the 15 it has well over 5000 Turbo miles most of which are over 245 hp. There are no tears, o signs of wear nor any missing lugs. The sled cannot be stuck and walks through fresh powder like there is no tomorrow. At the drags it launches like no other track I have ridden and last year took 1st place in my class and 4th place "overall" at the Gogebic Radar Runs. out running dedicated drag sleds. Right now the 141" x 1.6" with 141 - 1.865" grand master studs is way faster than my 380 HP 14 with 1-1/4" hacksaw and 244 1.5" picks on snow.

Deep Snow

Fast Trail

View attachment 141382
My own thought on track and sled damage, how a rider drives the sled. There are many times when spinning the track is not a good idea. If your paying attention to the surface your riding on, sometimes spinning the track could cause damage to the lugs or worse. Marginal conditions with sharp rocks poking through, banked road crossings and a lot of other situations that are probably more to blame for track damage than the track itself.
Just a thought.

Back