• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Xtx vs gt ride quality

The CK skid is the best in the business. (IMO)

Did someone ask if they could install an xtx apex skid in a SW,why? The cat skid that is in the winder is light years ahead of any ck skid,i had two,and both were terrible in stutters,only good in g-outs,and the cat skid is still way better in them too.
Did the CK skid have the 144 tipped rails , with the Star kit , with the heavy duty front skid spring and revalve ?
If not , then we are not comparing apples to apples .
The SW LTX LE 137 does not appear to transfer very well , from most accounts.
The XTX with the star kit transfers , as desired , for varying riding situations .
The 137 transfers hardly at all , all the time with no adjustability , when the blocks are out , which they need to be to get any transfer at all.
The benefit of the XTX 144 skid , is that it is really a 129 on the trails , which is better than the 137 , particularly in the tight twisties .

I personally have not tried the cat skid but what I have rode the xtx tipped rail is the best skid In my opinion. I did not even do the star kit just changed the springs and adjusted rear shock and it handles stutters and g out like a champ. I can out run just about anyone on any trail in any condition on this skid.

To do justice to yourself and the sled , no sled should be left stock .
Even if it is just changing carbides , or making upgrades to the suspension.
I believe after owning a 121 GT and a XTX 144 tipped with the Star kit, that when both are upgraded the the GT isn't half the sled the XTX is .
The 121 GT , should never be taken into the deep and fluffy off trail , unless you want to go back in the spring , when all the snow is gone to retrieve your sled.
With the 144 , you can lead and break trail , and actually play in the fluff , with a much greater confidence level , of not getting stuck , or atleast being able to get unstuck .
I was so impressed with the 144 tipped / Starred set up , that I would consider putting that skid in my Sidewinder .
Then I would have adjustable transfer , and with the tipped , it rides like a 129 on the trails , until you get off trail , and 144 kicks in.
I believe I am 249 lbs. , all dressed !

The question was ride quality, but I'll clarify. I weigh 190 dressed and here are my opinions:

I had an 09 apex LTX, and my father had/has 12 xtx. The LTX rode accolades better on groomed trails over the xtx. Xtx better in big G-outs, but LTX better everywhere else. Also LTX performed well on 87, no exup issues to contend with and just as fast.

Xtx sits higher in the back causing rider to constantly slide forward to the tank and required me to constantly stand and move back every couple of minutes while riding.......very annoying.

Lastly, if you plan on putting xtx skid in a sidewinder with the dream of getting a better ride.....best of luck to you!!!

Did someone ask if they could install an xtx apex skid in a SW,why? The cat skid that is in the winder is light years ahead of any ck skid,i had two,and both were terrible in stutters,only good in g-outs,and the cat skid is still way better in them too.

I agree 100%!!!

I understand your comments .
Have you ever driven a XTX 144 tipped skid , with the Star kit ?
IMO , if you do your opinion will change drastically .
I completely agree with whitedust,i had the 07 ape rtx with ck,worst riding sled I ever had,and than the 15 xtx 144 tipped and all the rush everyone was saying was so good,another drop out for Yamaha as far as rear skid was concerned,if this SW did not come out,i may of bought into the star,but now so glad I got back onto a cat skid.

Did the CK skid have the 144 tipped rails , with the Star kit , with the heavy duty front skid spring and revalve ?
If not , then we are not comparing apples to apples .
The SW LTX LE 137 does not appear to transfer very well , from most accounts.
The XTX with the star kit transfers , as desired , for varying riding situations .
The 137 transfers hardly at all , all the time with no adjustability , when the blocks are out , which they need to be to get any transfer at all.
The benefit of the XTX 144 skid , is that it is really a 129 on the trails , which is better than the 137 , particularly in the tight twisties .
There is now way in hell of comparing the xtx ape to any SW weather it is 129 137,144,or 153,all these sleds have a very good chassie,the apex never did,and still does not,and I don't care if its 121,129,or 144 w/tipped rails or not,not in same league at all,even if your ltx-le don't transfer,and even if mine don't transfer,but it does,i like my sleds set up to do little transferring,and hooking in the corners,and not beating the crap out of me in studders,all the guys I spoke to back in 15 who set up there xtx,s with star,all said it did not bite as hard in corners as it did before.that was all I needed to hear,not my style.

to each their own. as I stated I have not rode the sidewinder I did however ride a 14 and 15 viper and did not care for how they felt for stability. I didn't put 100 miles on either so I was still used to the ride of my apex when I did ride them. I will keep my 144 tipped rails for my ridding style. You obviously love the cat set up and I am glad you can have it with a Yamaha engine.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt. This is just me and how I like to ride. GT after having it valved correctly and learning how to use the rebound it was great in the small stutter bumps to about 1 foot after that you could feel the weight of the machine wanting to toss you around and had to hang on tighter. The 2011 and up mono shocks rode better out of the box then the GT did but when the moguls would get deep the ride was not so fun. The apex mono skid is a 1 foot or smaller trail suspension that is very cushy and plush. The XTX was not cushy or plush on the smaller bump but could handle the bigger bumps better to a point and then once again you would start to feel the same sensation of the weight of the machine wanting to toss you. Off trial, mono, not so great and the XTX skid would prevail. Once thing to remember, mono is not a stand up rider suspension, you will go tossed over the bars.. the XTX skid, you can stand and ride all day.

Both skid have their place but I would rather be on a SW or viper all day when the trails are tore up and deep.. you just don't feel that weight like you do on an Apex. I still have 2Apexs and if the trails are smooth with slight stutters no bigger then a foot, then the Apex will shine on the trail all day for me.

I would be interested to know how guys compare the ride quality between the singleshot XTX skid and the CK XTX skid. I own a 2016 XTX with the singleshot, bit have never rode an XTX with the CK tipped rails.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I would be interested to know how guys compare the ride quality between the singleshot XTX skid and the CK XTX skid. I own a 2016 XTX with the singleshot, bit have never rode an XTX with the CK tipped rails.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
I was very disappointed in the 16 SS performance even more harsh than the CK. I didn't have an opportunity to try and smooth it out for a season but demo wise it was a brick. Yamaha recalled the SS rear shock for the 17 Apex & tried to correct the brick but don't know how that worked out. IMO if the SS had been a wonderful rear skid the Apex would live on.

Big difference with the updated shock on my 17 xtx. The shock that came in it originally might as well been a 2x4 stuck in there.

There is now way in hell of comparing the xtx ape to any SW weather it is 129 137,144,or 153,all these sleds have a very good chassie,the apex never did,and still does not,and I don't care if its 121,129,or 144 w/tipped rails or not,not in same league at all,even if your ltx-le don't transfer,and even if mine don't transfer,but it does,i like my sleds set up to do little transferring,and hooking in the corners,and not beating the crap out of me in studders,all the guys I spoke to back in 15 who set up there xtx,s with star,all said it did not bite as hard in corners as it did before.that was all I needed to hear,not my style.
So Apex is junk and Cat is best! The XTX does not bite with the star kit cause all the guys you spoke to said so! Glad you came over to the Apex forum to browbeat the sled, skid and those who like it! BTW I think the Apex is a better sled then the SW!

No one asked if they could, they said they where so impressed with the XTX ck they would consider it! As he has both an Apex and a SW to ride he should know what he likes better. Maybe its in the setup?

Back