• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX with Star Kit Broken front Skid shock

Cummins6.7pwr

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 Yamaha Apex XTX
The front skid shock shaft is broke on my XTX. Anybody else have this issue with the Star kit installed? The Star kit has only been in for 1000 miles or so. Both shocks were sent to Star for rebuild/revalve at the time the kit was installed. I can't think of anything I hit or any sudden impacts. Just curious if anybody else has had this issue or a reason for the failure. Thank You!

over 13,000 miles on my kit with no problems.

Did you have the front shock shortened? I seem to remember Robert saying if I didn't do that I ran the risk of shock breakage. I rode with Yamadoo last week (he bought my XTX skid), and checked it over. He's had it 3 seasons now with no issues.

Did you have the front shock shortened? I seem to remember Robert saying if I didn't do that I ran the risk of shock breakage. I rode with Yamadoo last week (he bought my XTX skid), and checked it over. He's had it 3 seasons now with no issues.

Im not sure about shortened... I sent Robert my shocks when I ordered the kit and he was supposed to do whatever was necessary for my weight. I know he put the heavier "ski-doo spring" in it and re-valved them. There is no damage anywhere on the skid. The shock shaft broke and the body is also FUBAR. Any thoughts?
GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Im on my 2nd Star kitted XTX
Both times had Star revalve the shocks which entails them slightly shortening the front shock to prevent overtravel.

Zero issues and I punish my gear.

I researched the Star kit extensively before engaging with it and didnt find a single negative comment, feedback or complaint....in fact the opposite

I would be surprised if it was related to Stars work on the shock....but possible
Definitely isnt an inherant issue with the Star kit.
More likely simply a shock failure .....they do fail occasionally.

The Apex is a very heavy sled and taxes its suspension pretty hard.

I just returned from a 4 day ride where I treated my Apex like a SnoX sled.....if it was gonna break it would have

Im on my 2nd Star kitted XTX
Both times had Star revalve the shocks which entails them slightly shortening the front shock to prevent overtravel.

Zero issues and I punish my gear.

I researched the Star kit extensively before engaging with it and didnt find a single negative comment, feedback or complaint....in fact the opposite

I would be surprised if it was related to Stars work on the shock....but possible
Definitely isnt an inherant issue with the Star kit.
More likely simply a shock failure .....they do fail occasionally.

The Apex is a very heavy sled and taxes its suspension pretty hard.

I just returned from a 4 day ride where I treated my Apex like a SnoX sled.....if it was gonna break it would have

Im not bashing the Star kit at all. I love it and, like you, I did my homework before I purchased it. I was just looking to find out if anybody else had an issue like this. I ordered another shock and hopefully that is the only trouble I have.

Thanks for your reply

Lucky it didnt take out the track or other $$ stuff

Hopefully just a shock failure and no more probs

Have a great rest of season

Broke mine the start of last year. Dont really know why but did have a lot of miles on it. Sent it out to star for a revalve and stiffer spring the year before. No issues on the new shock but has not been revalved.

Broke mine the start of last year. Dont really know why but did have a lot of miles on it. Sent it out to star for a revalve and stiffer spring the year before. No issues on the new shock but has not been revalved.

I emailed Robert at Star and he said that they have seen a few broken shocks on their kits over the years. He didn't have a cause either. I'm going the same route as you with a new shock and hopefully it doesn't have an issue.

Back