• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Apex track extension

Rdip2005

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Yamaha apex
Hey guys. New to the group and new to snowmobiling. I've never really done much wrenching on a snowmobile before or know much on how to do anything anything beyond normal maintenance. This past winter I purchased a 2007 apex. I'm really happy with the machine, but it rides rougher than crap I feel like. Everyone I ride with has a 136 track and is telling me I should think about doing a track extension to a 136. My first question is how many of you have done it, and how do you like it. Also what do I need to order to do the extension if I did decide to do it. Thank you in advanced.

Track, Tunnel extension and Rail extension's,

First off you didn't mention what model Apex you have. Secondly, before you go spending a bunch of money on a new track and extension, it might benefit you to experiment with different suspension settings if you haven't already tried that. A skock revalve would be another approach. I wouldn't do a track extension right away if your main goal is to improve the ride. You can add a longer track and still have a bad suspension setup.

The exception is if you do alot of powder riding where the longer track would help with flotation. For trail riding I would consider that as a last option.

First off you didn't mention what model Apex you have. Secondly, before you go spending a bunch of money on a new track and extension, it might benefit you to experiment with different suspension settings if you haven't already tried that. A skock revalve would be another approach. I wouldn't do a track extension right away if your main goal is to improve the ride. You can add a longer track and still have a bad suspension setup.

The exception is if you do alot of powder riding where the longer track would help with flotation. For trail riding I would consider that as a last option.

Sorry, like I said it's all new to me. It is a 2007 apex rtx. Mostly trail riding is what I have done with it in the Upper peninsula. I was told the longer track would help improve the ride and also I kinda like the look of the longer track. But that is something maybe I need to check is the suspension, maybe it needs to be softened up. Thank you for your input

The RTX was known for having a firmer suspension. Try to soften it up through suspension settings. If you like the look of the longer track than by all means go for the swap. Just don't expect it to totally transform the ride. Will it improve? Possibly. But you really need to address the suspension.
BTW the Rtx models also have a firmer seat than other models.

The RTX was known for having a firmer suspension. Try to soften it up through suspension settings. If you like the look of the longer track than by all means go for the swap. Just don't expect it to totally transform the ride. Will it improve? Possibly. But you really need to address the suspension.

Thanks for the input

Tracks USA should be able to supply everything you will need to make the swap for 1 stop shopping. I believe they are also a site sponsor.

Ty member Cannondale rebuilds shocks and will be able to improve your ride the most per dollar
Now if the track is shot then going longer is not terribly expensive since you need the track any way.

I agree I have a 06 er apex. The sled stock was a 121 it's now a 136. I purchased this sled new and with around 7k miles decided I wanted it to ride better. I thought to myself 136 would be the ticket and it was but in the end I wish I would have had my shock revalved first. I did the revalve after 136 conversation still wasn't happy with the way it rode. I rode sled for a season before I did revalve. When I did the revalve I also did the big boy spring. I'm around 240ish dressed.

In my opinion 136 is faster 90percent of the time. I miss the 10percent when the 121 shinned.

Where do you ride in the UP? If you want to ride my sled your more than welcome to. If I had to do it again my sled will still be a 121 with revalved shocks but I'm happy the way it is today. WRP seat and revalve and go from there in my opinion, but summer is coming and I understand.

Last edited:
RTX with the torsion spring suspension is not known for its smooth trail ride. It is Yamaha's version of a ditch banging suspension. Swap it out with a 136 mono to really improve the trail ride.
A shock revalve and the proper weight spring is important as well.

(IMO) The RTX CK suspension is the best one Yamaha has ever came out with.

The CK suspension performs very well in when stretched out to 136. However, cracks will begin to appear after a year or two if you are a hard-pounding rider. It's not that the skid is bad or anything. You are simply putting more stress in a few areas than it was designed for. With that being said, we (formally known as Muffin Works) designed a set of 136" billet rails for the CK 121" geometry. They work great, everything is bolt in, and the weaker areas have been strengthened. I only mention this, because I believe Barn of Parts (BOP) has a used set of our 136 billet rails. He also bought up all of our old inventory of tunnel extensions when we closed up shop.

(IMO) The RTX CK suspension is the best one Yamaha has ever came out with.

I don't think very many people would agree with that statement. And apparently Yamaha didn't think so either or that skid would have lasted longer than it did and been used in more applications.

Having said that, I did have a chance to ride an 06 RTX back to back with my 06 GT. The ride of the RTX was definitely firmer. But since the early GT's were VERY under damped, there was a much bigger difference in the two sleds than what there should have been. I did like the handling of the RTX a little better. It took bumps better and steered with more confidence and stability with less inside ski lift. But my experience with that machine was limited to a few miles on well groomed and twisty trails so, my evaluation would be incomplete without more seat time in varying conditions.

I also liked the firmer seat of the RTX. You sat slightly higher for better view from the cockpit, and less leg bend.

I don't think very many people would agree with that statement. And apparently Yamaha didn't think so either or that skid would have lasted longer than it did and been used in more applications.

Having said that, I did have a chance to ride an 06 RTX back to back with my 06 GT. The ride of the RTX was definitely firmer. But since the early GT's were VERY under damped, there was a much bigger difference in the two sleds than what there should have been. I did like the handling of the RTX a little better. It took bumps better and steered with more confidence and stability with less inside ski lift. But my experience with that machine was limited to a few miles on well groomed and twisty trails so, my evaluation would be incomplete without more seat time in varying conditions.

I also liked the firmer seat of the RTX. You sat slightly higher for better view from the cockpit, and less leg bend.

06 RTX was mono shock skid.....same as GT. Seat was the same also.

07 RTX was ck skid and firmer seat.

17,773 miles on my 07 RTX plenty of miles to know it well and Loved it.

Back