• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Chain case and Brake Whine.

Breaaap

Yamaha Chain Case whine. Does anyone out there have a solution for the whine that I seem to think is inherent in Yamaha chain cases and the brakes. I have a 2007 Phazer and 2202 Viper. The viper chain case whines big time when I coast and the breaks whine as well. The phazer does the same thing but not as bad. Oil is always clean in the cases and I have tried various tensions on the chains. My guess is it is because of the steel roller chain tensioner. Any suggestions.

Thanks much.

Breaaap.

Never got rid of it with my Viper. Tried different oil, adjusted the chain loose [biggest change], it just never went away. After stretching to 136" and changing braqke pads... stil did it. My XTC's don't do it, just the Viper. sorry I don't have a good answer. As stated, running the chain slightly looser than spec helped the most. Oh, by the way, almost 12,000 on it and it still whines LOL.

Dave

Thanks for the feedback, I still think it is the steel roller causing alot of it. Anyway I am glad to see you have so many miles on yours. Even though I have other sleds to ride I don't think I will ever get rid of the Viper. I just plain love the motor and the sound of the triple. I may put an Airwave suspension in it this year but I can't make up my mind if I should go 136" or stay at 121". I have a 1.25 ripsaw on it that is awesome. How do you like it with the 136? Did it affect it much in the bumps? Again thanks for the input.

Breaaap.

I currently own 3 136" sleds. Never catch me on a 121" again. Viper has Ohlins on the front and rear of rear. Ripsaw with 162 studs and 8 tooth drivers,7" C@A Pro skiis. Rode fairly stiff[I weigh 290lbs.], but couldn't keep the KYB shocks from failing. If you stretch yours, you won't regret it! Proper setup will allow same handling and bridge stutters. I rode a lot off trail, and added a Boss Highrise widetop flattop seat and 3.5" Rox risers. Did EVERYTHING I wanted it to do! But with that many miles it was time for a change. My Attak is setup similarly, with the excepton of the Boss seat. Still have the Viper for a backup, but the Atak is better everywhere except really deep snow. Hope this helps you in your decision!!

Dave ;)!

chaincase whine

My Viper had a really loud whine. I was able to get rid of it by adjusting the chain with the outer cover off. You should rotate the track and check for the tightest spot and adjust. All chain drives will have spots that are tighter and looser due to jackshaft and driveshaft runout. You will see how easy it is to overtighten the chain using the technique suggested in the owners manual.

Back