• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Niken

sxr70001

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder LTX SE
SR Viper RTX SE
A fun video to while away the summer even if you hate the concept. At least we know where our snowmobile budget went.

they cant leave well enough along! Added a ton more cost to the bike and 200 more parts.....never heard anyone say they whish they had a extra front wheel.

A fun video to while away the summer even if you hate the concept. At least we know where our snowmobile budget went.

Well at least if they're willing to spend a bunch of money on something silly like that we can assume they'll keep a more "standard" offering like snowmobiles around...

Just imagine it was wider, lower and had a snowmobile track. You would have a sled that you could lean into the corners.

Well at least if they're willing to spend a bunch of money on something silly like that we can assume they'll keep a more "standard" offering like snowmobiles around...
Not really...bikes sales make a hell of a lot more money than a sled. Just the number if bikes sold and used most of the year vs a sled isn't even close.

Not really...bikes sales make a hell of a lot more money than a sled. Just the number if bikes sold and used most of the year vs a sled isn't even close.

Totally agree if this was a "regular" 2 wheel motorcycle offering, I just don't see this flying off the shelves. It doesn't balance itself, it isn't a performance corner to corner machine, it isnt as nimble, it isnt a cruiser, it's not entry level priced, etc. I don't really see the strategy other than for Yamaha to develop a new technology and for the guy that needs to be the talk of the crowd to spend $16k plus on it.

How many polaris sling shots, can am spiders, etc. do you see for every true motorcycle?

But it is neat that it wheelies...

Just imagine it was wider, lower and had a snowmobile track. You would have a sled that you could lean into the corners.
Keeping the track flat could be an issue, but what a concept!

As with engines, Yamaha is always developing new technology. They have made it very clear that they do not want to develop a technology that cannot be used in just one platform. Engines and other technology need to cross platforms if not be OEM'd to other MFG's.

We have already seen patent applications for this technology posted here before in a sled form. In fact, as stated above keeping the track flat was the issue. And it was addressed with a rolled track that looked like a cupped grain conveyor belt.

So we may joke about this becoming a sled. But in actuality, some of it may be used that way with a new skid/track. My guess is the single expansion tank suspension in the 2018 Apex may have been derived from this. Sort of like a swaybar effect with independent suspension control.

I'm talking out of my #*$&@ now, but it's fun to put the puzzle pieces together after having seen these things evolve and then get exposed one piece at a time.

Back