• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha or sazuki outboard????

yamamarc

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 zr9000 Ltd
Hey looking for advice I'm in the middle of purchasing a pontoon boat
I have the choice of a 50 yamaha or Suzuki
I was insting on the Yamaha but the dealer is try to convince me that the Suzuki is a better motor and 30 percent more efficient

Anyone with experience with both motors can you give your feedback

Suzuki do make an excellent motor though I HIGHLY doubt it's any more efficient than the Yamaha 30% is a big number considering neither use much fuel at all.

What it comes down to is a servicing dealer. If there's a Suzuki dealer close to where you boat than fine...which basically in Ontario if you don't boat near Port Severn (Marsh's Marine) than forget about the Suzuki. Parts for maintenance, or props, or lowers etc will be a HUGE pain unless you're close. That's the advantage of a Yamaha or a Merc...if you need something there's a dealer in every town with a lake.

I'm in the business...if you need a hand finding something I'd be happy to assist.

Suzuki do make an excellent motor though I HIGHLY doubt it's any more efficient than the Yamaha 30% is a big number considering neither use much fuel at all.

What it comes down to is a servicing dealer. If there's a Suzuki dealer close to where you boat than fine...which basically in Ontario if you don't boat near Port Severn (Marsh's Marine) than forget about the Suzuki. Parts for maintenance, or props, or lowers etc will be a HUGE pain unless you're close. That's the advantage of a Yamaha or a Merc...if you need something there's a dealer in every town with a lake.

I'm in the business...if you need a hand finding something I'd be happy to assist.
ok thanks My yamaha dealer here is great but they don't sell pontoons that's why I went south! He will service the yamaha it if needed no problem! I think he deals with suzuki also I'll call him in the morning! So both engines are very comparable in your opinion??

ok thanks My yamaha dealer here is great but they don't sell pontoons that's why I went south! He will service the yamaha it if needed no problem! I think he deals with suzuki also I'll call him in the morning! So both engines are very comparable in your opinion??

Yes, very compatible.

thanks doc..lol ru in the pontoon business? or just outboards

I would also doubt the 30% claim... That being said they are very comparable motors. Service is key, around here you are much more likely to run into a Yamaha dealer than a Suzuki.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had Yamaha four strokes on my Skeeter and loved them to death. Can't even here them run in the wind. Very economical. Sold that and bought a 04 pontoon that came with a Johnson 140 four stroke. Very smooth and quite. Sucks fuel under load like they all would. Says Brp on motor first Brp anything I owned. Also Suzuki is tied to this motor some how.

I had Yamaha four strokes on my Skeeter and loved them to death. Can't even here them run in the wind. Very economical. Sold that and bought a 04 pontoon that came with a Johnson 140 four stroke. Very smooth and quite. Sucks fuel under load like they all would. Says Brp on motor first Brp anything I owned. Also Suzuki is tied to this motor some how.

A Johnson 4-stroke is a suzuki with different stickers.

My four year old Yamaha 50 has 1268 hours on it and it has been flawless. You should have seen the look on my face the first and only time it stumbled on start up and it took a second try. This includes lots of below freezing temps.

For your info I do not have a kicker so the 50 does all the trolling too and averaged 3.23l per hour last year.

I just bought the high-thrust 50 Yamaha. Jumping from a Honda after 15 years-cracked the block. Heard at our boat show this weekend that Honda and Suzuki are in bed together-smaller engines are Suzuki and bigger motors are all Honda,

Yamaha 40's and 50's are so quiet, it's amazing! They sip gas , and are just extremely reliable. That being said, I know a lot of people who run Suzukis and are extremely happy with them as well.

I admit, I went with Honda for my boat because it is slightly lighter than Yamaha(90hp).

in the end it all comes down to the dealer.

i own a suzuki and because of the local dealer, i will never own another as they area pita to deal with and promise without delivering. worst example was brought in for timing belt and service on monday as i was told on the phone i would have it by friday. got there and it changed to next week tue/wensday. a month later i finally got it back.

Hope I did not make a mistake but I ended up with a princecraft pontoon with a 60 merc on it! I had great luck with my 2005 fishing boat with a 50 merc(0 issues)

Back