• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha/Skidoo

local 25

Pro
My local Yamaha dealer here in Rangeley Maine severed his ties with Yamaha. So living here in Rangeley, I decided to try another brand after buying 4 Yamahas over the last couple of years. ( still have all of them ) I bought a Skidoo MachZ. I posted about buying it in the beginning of this season and a few of you wanted a review of what I thought about the Z. Now that season is winding down, here’s my opinion. Drum roll…..
I love my Apex, I like the MachZ.
I found that when suiting up for a ride, at the last minute I would change my mind and take the Apex out instead of the Skidoo. Don’t get me wrong, the MachZ is very nice, very fast and very comfortable. But so is my Apex. At almost 60 years of age, I find that there are to many buttons, dials and switches on the MachZ.
Do I really need a button to answer my cell phone while sledding??
So the MachZ is being summer-ized today with almost 400 miles on it. I’ll hold off on my Apex as I’m sure there will be one more rideable snow storm here in Rangeley. Might even sell the Z
Again, not bashing the Skidoo, I’m just more
“ at home “ on my Yamaha.

Attachments

• 48A644EF-5616-4FAD-BADE-33A12E8F65C6.jpeg
    48A644EF-5616-4FAD-BADE-33A12E8F65C6.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 159

don't get me going on the Yamaha dealer closing...mike was the greatest mechanic and just a great guy. I got so much useful information from him...I can't say enough how much he is missed. I brought my sled to another Yamaha dealer and they wouldn't even set the clock correctly...how am I supposed to trust what work they have done if it was done at all if they can't set the time on the cluster, or the shaft bearing I asked them to check...Mike would fix everything wrong on my sled and give great advise.
Sorry to get side tracked so quickly, I know people are very passionate about the Apex. unfortunately another too short season in Maine.

My local Yamaha dealer here in Rangeley Maine severed his ties with Yamaha. So living here in Rangeley, I decided to try another brand after buying 4 Yamahas over the last couple of years. ( still have all of them ) I bought a Skidoo MachZ. I posted about buying it in the beginning of this season and a few of you wanted a review of what I thought about the Z. Now that season is winding down, here’s my opinion. Drum roll…..
I found that when suiting up for a ride, at the last minute I would change my mind and take the Apex out instead of the Skidoo. Don’t get me wrong, the MachZ is very nice, very fast and very comfortable. But so is my Apex. At almost 60 years of age, I find that there are to many buttons, dials and switches on the MachZ.
So the MachZ is being summer-ized today with almost 400 miles on it. I’ll hold off on my Apex as I’m sure there will be one more rideable snow storm here in Rangeley. Might even sell the Z
That's one fine looking Apex, thanks for the review, I share your passion for the Apex also, Its nice to ride with pride.

I'll never sell my apex! Some days I just want to ride it,as it still makes me smile! I also love the sidewinder, ride, power, quietness, handling. I get it. Actually I have the apex handling very flat,and its very fun, just not on big moguls. In its element, its still a great sled. My son rides it most of the time. Sometimes I dont want to be pushed up to the gas tank, and just sit back a little and blast off! We went to Rangely Lakes a few years back. Beautiful.

I’m gonna get totally flamed for this, but finally had the opportunity to ride a Winder for some miles up North, and I’m looking at another Apex. Yes, it did everything everybody said it would do, and I really enjoyed my time on it, but an Apex just feels like home. Sorry, not sorry.

I’m gonna get totally flamed for this, but finally had the opportunity to ride a Winder for some miles up North, and I’m looking at another Apex. Yes, it did everything everybody said it would do, and I really enjoyed my time on it, but an Apex just feels like home. Sorry, not sorry.

No Flames! gotta run what you love!

No Flames! gotta run what you love!
I’m sure I’ll be forced to live in the now at some point, but currently I’ll be perfectly happy on another XTX with a modified seat and bars to update the ergos. The insanely high price of getting into a Winder just doesn’t make it worth my while right now. If I had the time/space I’d shoehorn a four holer into a P/C chassis and build my own version of what I’d love the big Y to build.

I’m sure I’ll be forced to live in the now at some point, but currently I’ll be perfectly happy on another XTX with a modified seat and bars to update the ergos. The insanely high price of getting into a Winder just doesn’t make it worth my while right now. If I had the time/space I’d shoehorn a four holer into a P/C chassis and build my own version of what I’d love the big Y to build.

Powder coated arms for the apex are supposed to be ready tonight but I am caught up in yet another project!

I'll never sell my apex! Some days I just want to ride it,as it still makes me smile! I also love the sidewinder, ride, power, quietness, handling. I get it. Actually I have the apex handling very flat,and its very fun, just not on big moguls. In its element, its still a great sled. My son rides it most of the time. Sometimes I dont want to be pushed up to the gas tank, and just sit back a little and blast off! We went to Rangely Lakes a few years back. Beautiful.
Exactly my sentiments. The MachZ is nice but my Yamaha is my home. ❤️

don't get me going on the Yamaha dealer closing...mike was the greatest mechanic and just a great guy. I got so much useful information from him...I can't say enough how much he is missed. I brought my sled to another Yamaha dealer and they wouldn't even set the clock correctly...how am I supposed to trust what work they have done if it was done at all if they can't set the time on the cluster, or the shaft bearing I asked them to check...Mike would fix everything wrong on my sled and give great advise.
Sorry to get side tracked so quickly, I know people are very passionate about the Apex. unfortunately another too short season in Maine.
Mike truly is the best. There’s nothing worse than shelling out a lot of money and not knowing if you really got what you paid for. You NEVER got that feeling from Mike. He always went the extra mile. I would bring in a sled for x,y,& z and Mike would say while I was under there I found something else and I went ahead and took care of it. Honest mechanics are hard to find. Mike and Juile are the best.

That's one fine looking Apex, thanks for the review, I share your passion for the Apex also, Its nice to ride with pride.
Thanks. I take really good care of all my sleds. Here’s my 03 RX-1 still purrs like a kitten. The wife giving a little love before putting it away.

You need to get a sidewinder..I have an APEX too but you need to ride a sidewinder before you compare it to a ski dont

Mike didn't severe ties with Yamaha, he got out completely.
Basically retired.
They will sell gas & snow goods, but he's not working on them either.
Great Yamaha mechanic that i've used MANY times. He would strip sleds down from the floor for parts to get guys riding next day.
The Ski Doo dealer in that area does NOT get great reviews either.

Back