• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Venture RS wont start suddenly

emccarthy

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Yamaha Venture RS
I have a 2007 Yamaha Rs Venture 1000 that decided to stop working. It was starting fine, I had it in the garage and was just going to fire it up for a minute and it just clicked. The battery is good and I even put my jump pack on it too. I trouble shoot to see what's happening. The solenoid would get 12volts going in, but would only get 3 volts going out to the starter. The solenoid would click just like it should. Checked all fuses and they are good.

I figured it was a bad solenoid so I bought another. After swapping it out it does the same thing. If I remove the cord from the solenoid to the starter . The solenoid terminal will get 12volt when not connected to the starter. If you connect the starter on to the terminal it drops to 3 volts. Does this mean I have a bad starter? The starter looks to be buried on this sled. Thanks,

What is the voltage on the other side of the solenoid (battery) when the output (starter) side of the solenoid is @ 3V. If both are at 3V you either have a REALLY shorted starter motor or the battery doesn't have the current to maintain voltage.

Good luck!

Steve

Fully charge the battery and have it load tested to make sure it's not the problem. If the battery tests good then it's going to be a bad starter. More than likely the magnets in the starter came loose which is a known problem with Yamaha starters. The starter is difficult to get at and requires lifting and rocking the engine enough for the it to drop out.

What is the voltage on the other side of the solenoid (battery) when the output (starter) side of the solenoid is @ 3V. If both are at 3V you either have a REALLY shorted starter motor or the battery doesn't have the current to maintain voltage.

Good luck!

Steve
I tested this last night. I got 3v on both the in and out on the solenoid soon as you turn the key. I put 12v direct to the started and a clunk and could smell burning. Looks like I am doing a starter. Doesn't sound like a fun job.

Looks like you now know what is wrong - which sometimes can be the biggest challenge.

I feel for you on the effort to change the starter - There is a lot information on the steps to replace it on the site that should prove very helpful. Search function is your best friend.

Best of luck !!

Steve

Back