• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

YES and tunes

stgdz

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
19 tcat, 15 4000 RR, 13 800 RR
Can any one tell me how dealers handle tunes and warranty coverage? This is my first rodeo with a yamaha and warranties, I typically do all the work myself so going to the dealer for repair work is a bit......

odd

Couldn’t you just put stock tune back in? or does the ecu have something stored where they can tell
It’s been tuned?
They sure can tell, i think it was in kingers sidewinder post that showed pages of info that yamaha (& all others)can retrieve from the machines ,if max boost or rpm for instance are higher than oem they know it was tuned even if it isn’t currently, same applies to trucks, cars& most anything with a computer, same idea as files/messages that are deleted that are still in the phone/ computer etc( somewhere) unless you physically destroy the computer it can be retrieved

I think a lot of it depends on what you are trying to get covered and what kind of relationship your dealer has with Yamaha.

A good dealer can make it work, but a different ECU would be the better route like say a recked sled and then when you have issues, swap in the stock one.

They sure can tell, i think it was in kingers sidewinder post that showed pages of info that yamaha (& all others)can retrieve from the machines ,if max boost or rpm for instance are higher than oem they know it was tuned even if it isn’t currently, same applies to trucks, cars& most anything with a computer, same idea as files/messages that are deleted that are still in the phone/ computer etc( somewhere) unless you physically destroy the computer it can be retrieved
Yes, Everything thing is timestamped and the ECU is tied to the VIN of the machine.

Last edited:
In order to transfer the warranty a yamaha dealer has to inspect it correct? One of my neighbors has two winders and told me that was the case with one of his.

Story time, he picked it up last fall but before he got it the guy told him it was overheating. They called the dealer and said we know about that one. Well they found a cracked front cooler and replaced it under warranty after the title transfer.

Thats not true... If they are supposed to, they dont do it.. I have had warranties transferred over the phone.

I just did my warantee exchange. Ontario. I had to send Yamaha my new ownership, bill of sale, mine and original owners drivers liscence...
The warantee follows the vin in Canada.
Cat friends had to do nothing, follows the vin he was told.
In the States, I read an inspection is needed to be done by the dealer, paid for by the new owner....that bites...

Back