• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yet another wheel bearing thread :)

steveg_nh

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Attak
I pulled the skid out of my 2007 Attak to first make sure all bearings were replaceable, and to read the bearing model right off of them. I went through the whole skid (see pic below) and have the bearing I need, but I'm thinking I can consolidate on a few here.

I read a bunch online, and I believe (but would love for someone to confirm I am correct or at least what I plan to do is fine) that where I have 6205-LU bearings, I can just buy the readily available 6205-RS bearings. I believe they are both single rubber seal bearings.

Where I'm not sure is on the rear most spindle. I have a 6004-RS, and a 6004-RK (used wheel coming to me to install as 4th wheel kit, and this is the bearing in it now, RK). What the heck is an RK? I have searched high and low and can find only literally like 3 references on the interent for an RK suffix, but it didn't tell me if it would cross ok to a 6004- RS. I would imagine, but am not sure. As long as it fits in the wheel hub and is the right ID for the spindle, it's ok right?

And then on the 6204s I have, they specify 2RS (double rubber seal) with the deeper C3 spec. Must I have the C3? Again, a bit harder to find and more expensive. Are just 6204-2RS not ok?

And finally :) I read that 2RS bearings have more resistance than single RS, but I would think more sealing is better. Would it be acceptable to instead use 6205-2RS on all the smaller wheels or would it run too hot given the speed the wheels spin, and fail sooner? Why the 2RS on the back spindle and not the others?

What I don't know is if the bearings in here are what is really called for, or just what the previous owner decided to install the last time it was done.

Thanks!

Skid Bearings.JPG

Last edited:

I use the RS in all my bearings.

The first numbers designate the bearing size
So a 6205 is a 6205
RS is the seal designation. It normally stands for rubber seal it can often be written as 2rs meaning 2 rubber seals
LU designation is a contact seal designed for better grease control. It will have a lower overall speed rating because of the drag caused by the seal.

I dont know what an rk designation means. I would just swap it out with the equivilant rs bearing

Thanks. I was able to find info online for LU and RS and 2RS and stuff.

Just not sure if it matters to just simply and do all RS for the 6205 bearings (seems like LU and RS and often interchanged) and if I should keep the 2RS in the back vs just RS (maybe RS is better in this application - less friction) and if I need to make sure I get the C3 spec too.

Thanks RS all around.

So who can explain in lay person terms, what that C3 designation means, and what it is.

Thanks RS all around.

So who can explain in lay person terms, what that C3 designation means, and what it is.
C3 is the internal clearance in the rolling elements of the bearing.C3 is a common standard clearance.C2 would be tighter clearance and C4 has more clearance than C3.

C3 is the internal clearance in the rolling elements of the bearing.C3 is a common standard clearance.C2 would be tighter clearance and C4 has more clearance than C3.
Thanks. So it has nothing to do with external dimensions at all, and therefore, likely has 0 impact with how it's used for a rear wheel. So probably not necessary to make sure the C3 is specified specifically?

Thanks. So it has nothing to do with external dimensions at all, and therefore, likely has 0 impact with how it's used for a rear wheel. So probably not necessary to make sure the C3 is specified specifically?
Forget about the C3. Just buy a large multipack of the RS bearings, as you will be probably changing a few every year depending on how much riding you do anyhow.

Thanks. I read a bit more and found that C3 is typical. I bought some bearings from USA Bearings and Belts (good service, I called and emailed them), and bought some premium bearings with low temp grease, for $18/10 pack. That's a great deal. They are 2RS all around, but that seems to be what everyone has...Thanks all!

Just searched bearings and found this thread very helpful. I tried repacking mine last season and quite a few are really rusty this season. This is probably due to me distorting the seals during removal. Going to go all new this time.

Also be aware you want them with cold weather grease... as a 6205 bearing from an industrial supplier may not have cold weather grease in them. .. so be sure before you order or purchase. Local industrial supplier I use has most snowmobile and snowblower bearings in stock. Same brands they sell to industrial users.. just different grease.

Usually repack them before they go in..

Surprised at how much grease is NOT in them.

Back