• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Your Macgyver special

max rolph

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
998 turbo
This is just a fun post, lets here your MACGYVER special on trail side etc just to get you home or back soo you could AVOID the dreaded tow!!

IE; broke a pivot pin in clutch weight and took 1/4" bolt from idler wheel and put in just to get that extra 50 miles.

I have a four wheel axle and forgot to tighten the axle after tensioning the track. One hour into a ride I saw I was missing the outside wheel.
Luckily I saw a gas station and was able to find a bolt. I removed the remaining wheel on the other side and did the rest of my 5 day ,1300 kilometer trip on just the two inner axle wheels.

End of last season out by my self having fun with my 21 riot 9000 ski's up pull'n close to the century mark and boom!! Thought a belt exploded...nope was upper chaincase gear stripped out were it engages forward drive( didnt know that at time) but i had reverse yet, nobody out, mid week, now what i thought 14 miles from trk and trailer and my 55 year old butt aint walkin it!!! Drug the heavy pig around to face the direction i needed stood on brds backwards arms behind me and started off, ohhh boyyy twitch'n all over at 5mph, stopped and pulled wear rods off, wayyyy better!! now i could at least muster 10 mph with out darting, made it back to trk..now how to load it backwards onto trailer by myself?? not enough grunt of sled by itsself to gett'r up so ratchet strap and self propelsion got it done...memories for life, or is that called a KODAK moment!!??

End of last season out by my self having fun with my 21 riot 9000 ski's up pull'n close to the century mark and boom!! Thought a belt exploded...nope was upper chaincase gear stripped out were it engages forward drive( didnt know that at time) but i had reverse yet, nobody out, mid week, now what i thought 14 miles from trk and trailer and my 55 year old butt aint walkin it!!! Drug the heavy pig around to face the direction i needed stood on brds backwards arms behind me and started off, ohhh boyyy twitch'n all over at 5mph, stopped and pulled wear rods off, wayyyy better!! now i could at least muster 10 mph with out darting, made it back to trk..now how to load it backwards onto trailer by myself?? not enough grunt of sled by itsself to gett'r up so ratchet strap and self propelsion got it done...memories for life, or is that called a KODAK moment!!??
Damn. I remember many years ago I had a friend do this with a car that only had reverse.. He managed to drive it all the way across town and not get caught.. Avoided a tow bill.. BUT a snowmobile? That's crazy sh*&.. Nice work!:rofl:

I had this happen to friend of mine. He stood on the skies and drove it back from the lake in reverse.

A few years back when I was still riding my 2 stroke 2002 SRX I had a power valve blade break and the peace was rattling around in the exhaust port until I shut it off and then it fell in the cylinder. Everybody thought I was done and was wondering how we were going to get the sled back home as we were 50 miles from anywhere!
No fear I said I'll fix it.
I put the sled on its side, drained the anti freeze into a empty fuel container, dismantled and removed the cylinder head, removed the broken exhaust valve, put it all back together and completed a 250 mile ride.
We still call our Friday rides "Power Valve Fridays"
:)

About 10 years ago one of my friends was riding an SX 600 and the lower ball joint on the spindle starting coming apart. We strapped it together with a couple of ratchet straps and he rode it home (slowly) about 40 miles.

Like prince sang party like it's 1999, it was 1999 on my 98 mxz500, trailered from central wis. to waters meet mich. the days of you remember "ufo's" and "dial a jet" yes sir had them both plus a big a!! rotary plate in her from a 95 mach1, less than a mile down the trail and the dreaded 2 smoke tie up sound, yep still rolling to a stop grab the recoil handle and tight as a drum!! Buddy pulls up and knows whats up, we gotter busted loose, pulled plugs found mag side aluminum on plug...not gonna let this ruin our trip, so i had him hold back of sled up so i could get her running on the good cylinder with plug out of mag side, she fired up rpms up i said drop it!!! Away i went one cylinder of pure furry, couple miles down the trail i stoped with black goo streaming from hood vents, reinstalled the mag side plug fired it up with 2 cylinders making compresion now and finished the day with 150 plus miles...moral of the story never give up...lol

On a trip around Algonquin park around the year 2000. One of the SRX had rail break off at the front where they were known for cracking. Broke two windows out of track. Dragged it to local Doo dealer, they weren't busy and let us use the shop and tools. We cut the rail where it was broke on an angle and slid the slider up a bit. Drilled and tapped a bolt in there. Made it the last day ride back to where we started to finish the trip.

Another time we were checking the sleds over in the morning at Kapuskasing. One fellow commented on how awesome his unstudded track looked on his 2001 sxr700 with 11000kms. He jinxed it, because it didn't make it to Hornepayne and a large piece of track let go. Limped it into Hornepayne where there are no sled dealers. Local auto garage had a used track with all the side lugs mostly gone. 50 bucks. My brother-in-law and I changed it in about an hour and 20 and we were on our way, (full throttle of course).

5 years ago on a ride with my 97 et the rear exhaust mount at the foot well ripped in 1/2 on the muffler. i ended up using trapping wire that i always carry to hold the exh up by the reverse shifter bracket to finish the last 3 hours of the ride.

Another time we were checking the sleds over in the morning at Kapuskasing. One fellow commented on how awesome his unstudded track looked on his 2001 sxr700 with 11000kms. He jinxed it, because it didn't make it to Hornepayne and a large piece of track let go. Limped it into Hornepayne where there are no sled dealers. Local auto garage had a used track with all the side lugs mostly gone. 50 bucks. My brother-in-law and I changed it in about an hour and 20 and we were on our way, (full throttle of course).
These aren't trail side fixes, but they were quick fixes to let us finish the trip/ride.
On a more comical note, one morning when leaving a motel in North Bay, a couple of guys in our group thought it'd be funny to get to my sled before me and switch my spark plugs wires around on my 98 700sx. Little did they know on those machines it doesn't matter which wire goes where.....:cool:
If I had only known ahead of time the reaction on their faces would have been interesting.

So we’re near the green lantern and buddy breaks limiter straps and stabs the track—- lucky for him there are a few abandon cars nearby — slices off some seat belt and makes new limiter straps—- good for the rest of the weekend—-this was early 90s

Raided hotel maintenance shop for tubing, pipe clamps and sealant to patch a hole in an Apex crossover tube from thrown stud and got antifreeze at 1am in Quebec convenience store to ride last 115 miles the next day back to truck and trailer.

Had a belt blow on a fusion once. I had the updated voltage regulator mounted on the belt guard, where it was supposed to. But a Polaris dealer who worked on the sled had the harness ran in such a way there was no slack. The snapped belt bent out the belt guard and destroyed the wiring harness clip, basically splitting it in two. Probably 20 sets of loose wires, but we individually matched and wrapped them all together with electricaly tape and surprisingly got them right and it ran again. Just had trouble with the headlight going out later but the sled was drivable.

Back