• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Youth Helmets/Safety Gear

trgcobra

Extreme
My wife and I will periodically be riding with our 2 and 3 year olds in front of us. We don't plan on hitting any hard trails, just light easy riding. We plan on purchasing the Kid Karrier, which straps the kids directly to the driver. I still need to purchase helmets for both kids and I wondered what you guys recommend and where to purchase them. Any other protective gear that I should be thinking about?

I would get a Tek-Vest, or Safe-jak (rich motorsports) if you are planning on having them ride with you. IMHO: 2 and 3 are too young for public trail systems. Even at 20 MPH - You run the risk of crushing them in an accident should you hit something or someone.

Not trying to be a downer, but I have a 5yr. old and I'm not really sure about riding with her - even if she's wearing a vest. I would also look at the towable sleighs as an alternative (seat belts, and protection from elements and collisions).

I do agree to a point. Most, if not all of the trails that the kids will be with us on are extremely low use trails. I would guess that most of the riding will be on private land. Basically field riding near our home. Anyone know of any recommended tow behind sleigh's?

I am in the same boat as you. I am looking for youths helmets. It is illegal to have any children ride in front out you in our state. I think it would be better to have them ride behind you tethered with a strap.

One thing I noticed yesterday is that the riding position on the Attak for a child in front of you, is not good. I need to come up with something for my kids to hold on to. I plan on using the Kid Karrier to secure them to me. You can have them in front of you or behind you. They seem pretty cool!!

I did a 2-3 hr trail/lake ride with my then 5 yr old last year. She had her helmet on, and she was wedged in front of me on the vector. I don't think she's ever had more fun in her life. We told her that if we were going too fast across the lake, for her to tap us on the leg and we'd stop. I got going ~45, and she starts tapping me. So we stop, and ask her if we're going too fast. "No, you're going too slow. Go faster daddy!"

About 1/2 hr from the house, she fell asleep. Yes, you're reading that right, she fell asleep while riding. The only bad part was she hit the emergency cut off with her helmet (resting on the handle bars).

I'd love to get her a full faced helmet for this year. Anyone know where I could order one? I'd also like to get one for my 3.5yr old. He's melon is almost as big as hers is. He might fit in her old helmet, I'll have to check.

We ended up just getting adult helmets for the kids the youngest (5) fits a adult small and the two older ones (10 & 11) have adult larges, now I will admit that my kids are big headed but that is what ended up fitting them. The only thing that bothers me with the little one in front is that the top of his helmet is constantly hitting the chin of my helmet. the two older ones I can sit back far enough that it is not a constant thing.

I just ordered two GMAX helmets, one for each of my kids. I should have them this week. I also got kid karriers that lets you strap the kids to yourself. It makes it so you don't have to hang on to them all the time.

My wife and I will periodically be riding with our 2 and 3 year olds in front of us. We don't plan on hitting any hard trails, just light easy riding. We plan on purchasing the Kid Karrier, which straps the kids directly to the driver. I still need to purchase helmets for both kids and I wondered what you guys recommend and where to purchase them. Any other protective gear that I should be thinking about?

Attachments

• F450A6AB-6EC3-43BB-80C2-AA0781A60137.jpeg
    F450A6AB-6EC3-43BB-80C2-AA0781A60137.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 7A96823F-D4E3-4F1D-9A98-042945B0B93E.jpeg
    7A96823F-D4E3-4F1D-9A98-042945B0B93E.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 103

Back