• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

zr skid install in 05 rx1.. HELP!!

sleachrx1

Extreme
Hey guys, i'm new here, and to the 4 stroke world of snowmobiling, and have been lurking on this fourm for a while. I just purchased a 2005 rx1, to replace my 2002 zr 800 Cross country, and 2005 900 fusion :o| .. tha fusion speaks for itself with issues, and the arctic cat had a rod bearing expire, and holed the cases, ruining almost the entire engine, so it will be parted out.. I have read here about the issues with the 05 monoshock susp, cracking and bushing problems, and I was thinking, why not swap in the 2002 zr 800 skid, to solve durability problems.. My monoshock does not ride very well, and looks to have been repaired more than once, unsuccessfully. I am 6'4", 300, and dont want a fragile setup under me..

My issue is that I need the specific info on a template for drilling the holes in the tunnel for the ac skid install, and cant find it... I HAVE used the search function, and the one link everybody recommends to have the most helpful info comes up with a "seiko watch ad"... ANNOYING!!! Maybe this link is outdated, and wont refresh? I was planning to buy 2 new front brackets from Yamaha, so I could leave the originals in place, and fabbing the required rear brackets, but need help for proper location..

Please help a newby? :o|

Pics would be awesome, as would any tips!!

Thanx in advance, Scott

Measure the location on your AC tunnel the skid is coming out of, Then you can make your own template out of card board or aluminum. I have not came across a template for that skid.

DV8 said:
Measure the location on your AC tunnel the skid is coming out of, Then you can make your own template out of card board or aluminum. I have not came across a template for that skid.

I havent yet either, but measurments from the zr tunnel would be different, cus the tunnel dimentions are not the same.. Not sure where to measure from.. Drive axle back? I know many have done this swap, and there used to be templates, just lookin for some to make it easier.

measure your zr tunnel, you need these numbers. distance of front mount back from center of axel. distance of front mount down from tunnel. distance from front mount back to rear mount. distance of rear mount down from tunnel. on the rx1, use the bottom of the square protectors as the tunnel to measure from. when i say center of axel its to allow for different diameters of axels. measure everything 3 times, drill once.

Do you guys think that I would be better off having the current monoshock skid beefed up by Brian at half baked coatings? Has anybody that has had this done have any feed back?

Thanx again

Go with the cat skid.
It will be the best thing you ever do to the sled.
You will never get the mono to hook up the way the cat skid does.
The ride will be great as well.
My T-cat skid doesn't wear slides or idler wheels.
Gets alot more of the 4 stroke torque to the snow.
Love it!

Attachments

• 09rx1 004.jpg
    09rx1 004.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 284
Thanks for the reply Fullback.. Your sled looks cool with all the polishing. I will more than likely end up going with the ZR skid, but it needs a lil rebuilding to be mech sound again. It needs some new shock bushings, a new front spring, and prolly a revalve for my weight. And I need to repaint the orange... Won't go with the red sled..
I'm just worried about the rail bending people talk about, and getting the right measurments for drilling tunnel. Still cant seem to find the template. I just want to do this once, and do it RIGHT the first time..

It's fairly easy to do.
I also just bought new Yamaha brackets for the front mounts.
I had to grind about 1/16" off of each end of the front mount to get a nice tight fit in the tunnel.
Back brackets can be just about any aluminum or steel 1/8"-1/4" stock.
As I remember my front mount position was around 6 3/4" down from the top of the tunnel.
Best thing to do is just measure the donor sled.
My rails came with the extra brace in place as it's a 136.
No bent rails here.
Those cat skids can take a beating. ;)!

what is everyone installing in 2005 rx1 instead of the mono my front a arm broke its 600 dollars i will put another skid in first before i pay that for an arm fixed mine but probarly wont last.this really t me off had many yamahas no issues the newer i buy the more issues

I am going to replace my monoshock with a skid from a 2002 zr 800 cross country edition. I have heard good things about the swap from people here, and not too much modding to install..

I put a SC10-4 out of a 05 Mach Z , I love it, coasts like crazy NO engine breaking (alittle hard on brakes now), front strap as tight as possible and pulls the ski's with no trouble, I love it.

I wasnt planning on a Doo skid, but there are only half a million for sale as parts sleds, due to engine, so I got a 3000 km skid for $200, which was perfect, the funny part is a doo owner parting out a 3000 km sled because he is sick of the engine trouble :yam: :yam:

Back