• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

zx2 solid no movement

Need for Speed 2

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
well I think they must have the wrong spring and shock combo on mine in the instructions they mention a single shock for mountain sleds if its a stiffer one then thats what I have 2 of these valving # isdb-09 written in pen on the bottom opf shock. I will have to call tomorrow. Its so stiff I can stand on the rear bumper bounce up and down it will move about 1 inch. I took shocks off put it back in it cycles through suspension arc no binding so it is the shock spring combo

Mine has "db 09" written on them as well. I don't have it installed in my sled yet, so I can't help ya there. I find the shocks to be very strong springwise and I have tried to collapse the suspension by standing all my weight on the rear arm and gently hopping up and down and manage to move them only a few inches, but I feel that's appropriate considering 2 shocks are mounted on one arm.

A couple of areas you could look at are:
Was it installed correctly?
Does the mount kit match your sled?
What settings do you have on your shocks?
Are the pins for the revolver plates in their proper place? (In the instructions it says that there is one setting not possible. #3 coupling hole with #1 transfer adjustment)

Keep everyone informed as to your findings.

well I put 1 shock spring on put back together spring rate seems quite adequate but shock valving with just 1 is way off. either I have wrong springs or these arent ready for market yet. I have faith in Boivon so I believe these guys may have made a error I know they are moving alot of these now so hope its just a spring change needed

need..is your track to tight?i know when i had a expert-x it took a good 1000 miles for the springs and shocks to set-in

Did you put the pins back in the revolving adjuster? And make sure the track tension is all the way loose. Here's a couple pics of a blue zx-2 in my '02 viper

Attachments

• 000_0543 (Small).jpg
    000_0543 (Small).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 114
Man that looks sweet. I may have to get me one. Maxdlx

Millenium awesome looking! How much does your sled bound up and down when you jump on it just sitting there? Is it as stiff as need for speeds is? Let us know hopefully there is no screw up here!

kinger said:
Millenium awesome looking! How much does your sled bound up and down when you jump on it just sitting there? Is it as stiff as need for speeds is? Let us know hopefully there is no screw up here!
No- not stiff at all-- it's really pretty squishy till it gets down towards the bottom. I can take both hands and push it up and down quite a ways fairly easily-- might be a little too soft. Or maybe I'm just used to the pro-action. I think I set the shock adjusters on the 3rd setting. It drops out a lot lower than the no-action too-- I tried setting the back end up on my wooden kickstand, and the track was still dragging, so I had to add more wood to get it off the ground. When I first sat on it after install it only moved about an inch & was real hard-- then remembered I hadn't put the pins back in the revolving adjuster. Put them in and it was all set-- don't know if that was need for speeds' problem or not? Haven't heard back from him. Can't WAIT for snow!!

I have tryed everthing on it if yours will move like that then I have a problem with mineI can stand on the bumper with a 250 lb buddy on the sled it will move about 2 inches. I called J>F> at boivon he said it should be very stiff. Take pics and email to me was his reply. I measured the coil diameter on the springs they measure .387 of an inch can you guys measure and get back to me I am probably putting old skid back in dont have the patience or time for these kind of blunders. I was quite disappointed with Boivons help to this problem so far. Wish I had my old Expert X in this sled.

I would at least ride it and play with the settings after trail results before making judgment. I’m hoping it will not bottom out hard when I ride hard so guess I might have what I’m looking for. Time will tell…

Dan

Gentlemen,

Alain Boivin installed my skid and I spent thte better part of half a day with him and Jeff Couture learning about this unique skid and its design. There are a couple of things to keep in mind. I am not saying that you absolutely did not get the incorrect springs or a bad shock, but after seeing the facility and talking with the guys, I would suggest you re-trace all of your steps before rushing to conclusions.

First, read carefully your owners manual. It tells you in the there which pre-load setting you should run based on your weight and riding style. When you lift the rear of the sled, drop in on the ground and sit on it. It should have very little movement.

The shocks are designed such that the first part of the stroke is valved for absorbtion of subtle stutter bumps. As the shock continues to collapse the second part of its action is valved at a stiffer rate to absorb the larger "G-OUT" situations. However, it is important to keep in mind that the second stage valving is also dependent upon the speed of compression. If you just s-l-o-w-l-y compress the suspension it will feel extremely soft. I can not accurately describe the fluid dynamics without getting into engineering terminology, suffice it to say that the faster the shock compresses the stiffer the second part of the stroke becomes.

Additionally, the track should be run tighter than what we Yamaha guys have become accustomed to in the past. The reason for this is that the synthetic/composite materials have expansion and contraction properties that are much different than traditional steel. Therefore, if your sled is in the garage at 65 degrees, when you go outside and it is 0 degrees, it will contract thereby causing the track tension to loosen. Again, this is clearly described in the owners manual.

I hope this helps. I cannot wait to try this bad boy out! :-o

thank shane for the quick explaination! i could not do better !

to get back at need for speed problem, i just talk to him on the phone and i think i found is problem.

Need for speed modified my mounting plate to fit a 128 inch track. then the geometry was modified and the revolver system did not work the way it was design.

I am trying to make thing work with a Crazy sled !
he will keep you up to date with the modification he had to do for the 128 inch.

Back